• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Reckless Driving"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psftxerica

I was in an accident at home depot, it had been raining, and I had slid into a shed there. Being my first accident, i went home and called the manager... however i made the mistake and called lowes instead... that was the only thing i did wrong though. Howver once talking to the police, they said they had 2 witnesses saying i was doing doughnuts... (i wasn't!) He even said they did not see before the accident. (So why say i was doing them??) Well he said id have to pay a fine, and i would not lose my license. So we payed it, just wanting to get it over with. Well. Turns out a month later i got a notice saying my license was suspended for 6 months. I did nothing wrong and the cop efen said i wouldn't lose it... what do I do? HELP? I live in york county, pa. Btw... thanks!!

justalayman

I was in an accident at home depot, it had been raining, and I had slid into a shed there. Being my first accident, i went home and called the manager... however i made the mistake and called lowes instead... that was the only thing i did wrong though.
No, the first and most egregious thing you did wrong was leaving the scene of an accident. You needed to walk yourself into the store and report it to the manager, right then and there.

I did nothing wrong and the cop efen said i wouldn't lose it... what do I do?
How about living with the consequences of your actions and feel blessed you didn't get charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

the cop has no authority to determine what happens to your license.

psftxerica

Yes i know leaving the scene is bad, i don't need that response. Kay thanks. Im still a teenager, it was my first accident. I need to make an appeal, that's what i need help with. I didn't go in, because i was crying hysterically. It was on private property so, its not illegal. I went home to call, because of that.

"Dealing with the consequences" for something i didn't do, i.e. reckless driving is what i need help with. How do i make a damn appeal. Some real advice would be helpful... like how to make an appeal. Thanks. Geeze.

psftxerica

& i know the cop doesn't give out the punishments, but he did say i wouldn't lose my license... because it wasn't enough points... that's the ONLY reason we paid the ticket & not fight something i didn't do, ie doing doughnuts. Thanks.

justalayman

It was on private property so, its not illegal
You really believe that? Ok fine, if you say so. What makes you think they could charge you with reckless driving while on private property but couldn't charge you with leaving the scene of an accident?

§ 3745. Accidents involving damage to unattended vehicle or
property.
(a) General rule.--The driver of any vehicle which collides
with or is involved in an accident with any vehicle or other
property which is unattended resulting in any damage to the
other vehicle or property shall immediately stop the vehicle at
the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible and
shall then and there either locate and notify the operator or
owner of the damaged vehicle or other property of his name,
address, information relating to financial responsibility and
the registration number of the vehicle being driven or shall
attach securely in a conspicuous place in or on the damaged
vehicle or other property a written notice giving his name,
address, information relating to financial responsibility and
the registration number of the vehicle being driven and shall
without unnecessary delay notify the nearest office of a duly
authorized police department.
Every stop shall be made without
obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary
offense, punishable by a fine of $300 or imprisonment for not
more than 90 days, or both.
(Feb. 12, 1984, P.L.26, No.11, eff. Oct. 1, 1984; July 10, 1984,
P.L.679, No.146, eff. 60 days; July 6, 1995, P.L.288, No.42,
eff. 60 days)
I'm not seeing an exception for private property that is open to the public.

did you call the police and report it?

let's see, $300 fine and/or 90 days in jail and they have a year to file the charges.

so anyway:

§ 3736. Reckless driving.
(a) General rule.--Any person who drives any vehicle in
willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or
property is guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Penalty.--Any person who violates this section commits a
summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay
a fine of $200.
(May 30, 1990, P.L.173, No.42, eff. Apr. 1, 1992)
so, since suspension does not appear to be part of the penalty, that begs the questions:

was this a judicial suspension or an administrative suspension? Do you have enough points on your record, by your accounting, not the cops, to have your license suspended? If the cop looked up your record, if you have had another recent violation, it may not have appeared on your record yet and when iy did, bang, there goes the license.

psftxerica

Im just saying what the authoritys said.

Im not saying what i did was right, i shoulda went in.
but im not talking about that,

Now id like to get some advice on how to make an appeal,
not on what i did.
all i know is, i didn't do doughnuts& the witness lied.
so some advice on the appealing process would be nice, anything else, im good.
thanks.

justalayman

well, if you would respond to all that I asked, I might be able to figure something out.

Here, I'll repost them:

was this a judicial suspension or an administrative suspension? Do you have enough points on your record, by your accounting, not the cops, to have your license suspended? If the cop looked up your record, if you have had another recent violation, it may not have appeared on your record yet and when iy did, bang, there goes the license.

I_Got_Banned

This looks like an administrative suspension by PENNDOT pursuant to

§ 1532. Suspension of operating privilege.
(b) Suspension.--
(1) The department shall suspend the operating privilege of any driver for six months upon receiving a certified record of the driver's conviction of or an adjudication of delinquency based on any offense under the following provisions:
Section 3367 (relating to racing on highways).
Section 3714(b) (relating to careless driving).
Section 3734 (relating to driving without lights to avoid identification or arrest).
Section 3736 (relating to reckless driving).
Section 3743 (relating to accidents involving damage to attended vehicle or property).​

I'm not so sure you can "appeal the suspension"... By simply paying the fine, you obviously plead guilty to reckless driving and the suspension is automatic once the case is closed.

You may have to appeal the entire case but then again, you plead guilty and I'm not so sure an "I didn't know what the penalties are" would cut it for a appeal.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who else doesn't buy the "I called Lowes by mistake" line that we're being fed? :rolleyes:

justalayman

Who else doesn't buy the "I called Lowes by mistake" line that we're being fed? :rolleyes:
I figured it was because the OP was too drunk to remember which home improvement store they were at doing doughnuts.

and as I_Got_Banned pondered; since the OP plead guilty, no chance of an appeal simply due to ignorance of the penalties possible.

I guess the OP should learn a few lessons from this situation:

1. do not do doughnuts on others property
2. report the accident while still on scene
3. do not take legal advice from a police officer

Oh, and grow up.

Ozark_Sophist

While applying for a job at Arbys, my wife's idiot cousin insisted the manager accept his completed Hardee's application because that was the application Arby's had provided him earlier to fill out. Lutz.

divona2000

...Im still a teenager
...it was my first accident
...I didn't go in, because i was crying hysterically
I was in an accident at home depot, it had been raining, and I had slid into a shed there...i went home and called the manager
I like the part where the teen couldn't walk a few feet to the door of Home Depot because s/he was "crying hysterically" yet still felt entirely competent to drive home.

psftxerica

I posted this, so I could get helpful information, NOT people tearing me down accusing me of things I did not do.

I_Got_Banned... thankyou for being the only, informative response. I thought that what this stupid website was for; getting informative, unbaised information regarding the law.

For those saying, & accusing me of lying; you don't know me, and no matter how much I say I didn't do it. I'm not going to convince you, so I won't try. But saying I'm stupid & ignorant is the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not saying I'm completely innocent, I should've went in, but I didn't. I went home to have my mother help me, & my dad check out my car. Another big part of leaving was, now I didnt have any working lights. (My light that wasnt in the accident had just gone out); it was getting dark soon, and I didnt want to get stuck in town, at dark, with no lights. So, I went home & called the store.. But I am innocent of reckless driving... this the thread title.
I am a very smart person, I just don't always use commen sense. (& save your comments justalayman or whatever)

Divona... I'm not just a teen. I'm a person, just because I'm a teenager doesn't make me a complete ignorant jackass, xxx. The sheds are on the complete opposite side of the parking lot, it was pouring down rain (which contributed to this stupid ) crying while driving isn't hard, for me. However, crying & talking is.

I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE WENT IN now, but i didn't... so enough. ENOUGH. I didn't hit a person, or other vehicle. so imy thinking was it wasn't a hit in run. I don't know my insurance information, so i knew that would be helpful when reporting the incident. (Its my parents car) as well, like I said above, I had no working lights, & it being an overcast day it was getting darker..

Justalayman; Haha, im underage, and athough i have drank, im not an idiot. Drinking & driving is a very dangerous& stupid thing to do. You can hurt yourself, or worse, kill an innocent. I HAVE NEVER/WOULD NEVER take the wheel after using/drinking mind-altering substances. You, as well, make A LOT of assumptions. All of which, are wrong. I was NOT DRUNK, :) i was NOT doing stupid doughnuts. (I can't do them, first off, they are pointless, wears down your tires &, mine are bad already) IF i was doing the damn things, i wouldn't be even trying nor asking about the appeal process, because when i do things that are wrong, i own up to it, & deal with consequences. I have learned from the mistakes in my life. Im glad I've made those mistakes. You really should try being more humble. if you don't get that im not lieing (that it being an accident & i wasnt doing doughnuts, but in fact, slid from a big puddle, from the pouring rain) already, you wont. I don't take legal advice from the police, but considering its their job to know the laws, they should be able to know what consequences you COULD POSSIBLY face. I know, they aren't the ones that decide consequences. My mother asked him if it was a POSSIBLITY Id lose it, & he said no. I know its not his decision. But he should atleast be aware/up-to-date with consequences. That was the point Im trying to make.
& grow up? Hahaha... whatever. Im not the one on supposed to be helpful forum tearing others down, when they made a mistake in an ACCIDENT, because you think your just so smart, & you've never made a mistake in the middle of a panic.
Your, of course, are always right& never make mistake, right? Sounds like you need to do some growing up. Instead of accusing people of things they say they didn't do, maybe try and be productful& give some insight onwhat that person is asking, without belittleing or talking down to them. Its more attractive, & more productful. Isn't that the purpose of this forum? To help those, needing legal advice?
I didn't respond to your question, because of what I've mentioned above. I don't have any other violations, this is the first, however.

Zigner; Believe what you really want, but its the damn truth, im no liar. You don't know me. So don't be such an assumptous xxx, perhaps? Its not an attractive trait.

Ozark; I guess thanks for stating that people make little mixups, but still... I'm. Not going to even get into it. & to call the cousin an idiot for making a mistake, is quite rude... like you've never made a mistake or mixed something up?

I'm new to this site, but it seems like its just used by "snobby, know it all's, and lack of a better word, 'belittleing xxx,'" who get some kind of enjoyment. This could be, possibly because they have/get no other pleasure, except from getting together and basically, (instead of trying to be productful & helpful, like the forum is intended for) bringing down others who are less-informed in the matters of the law. (This doesn't make them stupid, however! So, maybe try to be less presumptous & more understanding and try not to talk with one another, bringing the questioner down and putting forth your assumptions and opinions, because at the end of the day, they are JUST THAT. OPINIONS, NOT COLD HARD FACTS:) im not trying to be a bitch, but some of you are simply rude, & haven't been the least bit helpful. Your just gossiping, like highschool girls... haha, & im just the" teen?" Like that's a bad thing? I maybe young & I can be naive, but at least I'm not rude, and I try to help those when they ask for it (without voicing my baised opinions, that have no fact or, for that matter, ANY credibility) Perhaps, everybody could try useing more courtesy & respect, & be less presumptuous to those trying to gain more knowledge about an issue they are concerned with. Just because you know everything& your the smartest person in the world, (of course!) Try being more humble& use propper manners. You'll come off more attractive, & kinder. That's something we all could use & learn.

So, thankyou (again, heh) to I_Got_Banned, for being informatative & their non ignorant, assumptous, or belittling statements, in anyway. This place needs more responders like you, instead of those that just gossip about "so called 'facts' that, in reality, are just biased, uninformed & uneducated opinions from those who weren't even there & will never know what happened, besides from what I said did. (Which is the truth.)

Oh, P.S. even the cop said the witnesses said, 'they did not witness the events leading to,& including the accident, just after.' That's one major reason why I'll be filing, or atleast trying to, an appeal. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

psftxerica

Dude; your a creeper. What? You got something to say? Then say it.

Nothing you can say about me, will hurt me. You don't know me.
so don't be making fun of me.

Why is everybody, well alot of people, on here, such assuming xxxx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">