• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommyr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm agonizing over this -
I was making a left into a parking lot and did not realize that the there were oncoming cars turning left into the lane that I was crossing (it's a large intersection in the valley of LA). I sped up to avoid the cars and realized quickly that it was a very close call. When I parked in the lot an ununiformed man walked by my car and I soon realized that he was looking at my back license plate. He then said to me as he was walking back to his car that he was going to report me because of the dangerous turn that I made. He mentioned that he took a picture. He said he was a police officer (though did not show me a badge) and when I asked what exactly he was going to report me for he said that I would see it in the mail.
He refused to engage me in any discussion and drove away. I was not defensive nor rude back to him. What can I expect? Can I get a ticket for reckless driving??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

I doubt anything will come of it. If he did not get your name, and he is an officer that can access Cal-Photo, he is going to have to hope that you are the registered owner of the car in order to match your license photo to you. If he can, then he might be able to mail you a citation for an unsafe turn or some similar infraction, but I cannot see it being reckless driving (which is a misdemeanor).

I would not worry about it too much unless you DO get a citation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">