• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving 91/65 in VA, NC licence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fourth

I live in the Charlotte, NC area. I got pulled over in Wythe County, VA going 91 in a 65, southbound on I77. I was wrong in doing so and am now quite nervous, especially since I'm trying to scrape enough money to find a house for me and my pregnant wife (she was in the car btw). I have read some of the potential punishments for reckless driving in the state of VA, especially for those who go 91!! I don't hav a perfect record either. I'm not sure how many points I have, but it's not great.

I'm not quite sure what to do. What does Plea bargain entail? I'm not sure what that implies in the state of VA. The car I was driving was not mine (it was my sister's who was also in the car with me) and it can definitely cruise much more fast and smoothly down a hill than my 4 speed manual car, which I am used to driving. I'm not sure if that's worth mentioning in Court.

Also, let's say the officer, who pulled me over, doesn't show up (which I am certainly not banking on), does the judge have a right to reschedule the trial? I hear different people saying different things. Some say he doesn't if I appeal to a speedy and fair trial.

seniorjudge

Fourth said:
I live in the Charlotte, NC area. I got pulled over in Wythe County, VA going 91 in a 65, southbound on I77. I was wrong in doing so and am now quite nervous, especially since I'm trying to scrape enough money to find a house for me and my pregnant wife (she was in the car btw). I have read some of the potential punishments for reckless driving in the state of VA, especially for those who go 91!! I don't hav a perfect record either. I'm not sure how many points I have, but it's not great.

I'm not quite sure what to do. What does Plea bargain entail? I'm not sure what that implies in the state of VA. The car I was driving was not mine (it was my sister's who was also in the car with me) and it can definitely cruise much more fast and smoothly down a hill than my 4 speed manual car, which I am used to driving. I'm not sure if that's worth mentioning in Court.

Also, let's say the officer, who pulled me over, doesn't show up (which I am certainly not banking on), does the judge have a right to reschedule the trial? I hear different people saying different things. Some say he doesn't if I appeal to a speedy and fair trial.
Q: What does Plea bargain entail?

A: I doubt that they are interested in plea negotiation due to your speed and your record.

Q: The car I was driving was not mine (it was my sister's who was also in the car with me) and it can definitely cruise much more fast and smoothly down a hill than my 4 speed manual car, which I am used to driving. I'm not sure if that's worth mentioning in Court.

A: Should you tell the judge you were speeding in a car you were not familiar with? Think about that for a minute and then tell me the answer.

Q: Also, let's say the officer, who pulled me over, doesn't show up (which I am certainly not banking on), does the judge have a right to reschedule the trial? I hear different people saying different things. Some say he doesn't if I appeal to a speedy and fair trial.

A: It will be rescheduled and speedy trial doesn't apply to traffic violations.

"I was wrong in doing so and am now quite nervous, especially since I'm trying to scrape enough money to find a house for me and my pregnant wife (she was in the car btw)."

Yeah, I wouldn't tell the judge about the pregnant wife being in the car.

Fourth

Thanks a lot! I feel like an idiot now :eek:

Is a plea bargain even worth a try?

Is there any other option I should pursue?

Ouch, not good. You really need an attorney familiar with courts in that county.

In addition to your problems in VA, your licence will be automatically suspended in NC for any out of state conviction more than 15 over or greater than 80.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">