• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mzze70

my 16 year old son was arrested for reckless driving(96 in a 55)in illinois.
what should we expect in court? do we need an attorney to appear in court? what kind of fines or punishment are we looking at?
we have no idea what to do or what to expect. please help, thanks

V

Vincent Cosent

I can only guess!!!

Judges have great leeway in court. If this is his first conviction then he could get a fine of several hundred dollars and court supervision. Being 16 makes a differance to. And you as a parent should be aware that if he is under your insurance and gets his liscense suspended then you might get your insurance cancelled as I did with my son.And if he gets two moving violiations in two years his liscense will be suspended. I would recommend parents show up with him in court as I believe this can lessen the penalty in some instances. One more bit of parent to parent advice is that when we allow our children to drive a car they are not generally going to be treated as children when operating a motor vehicle so if you dont think he is mature enough to drive dont hesitate to take away his privilage to drive even if the state dosen't. As far as getting a lawyer is concerned thats a matter of personal prefrence that cost quite a bit of money for him to show up in court and i'm of the opinion that he wont get the fine reduced enough to cover his cost.

M

mzze70

thanks
so when we get to court, he should just plead guilty? will he have a chance to apologize or let the judge know that he knows he made a huge mistake? one of his teachers said he would write him a character reference, is that a good idea?:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">