• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving: Do I need a lawyer with my history?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moking

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I was charged with reckless driving of 97 in a 70 while coming around a downhill curve.

Here are some of the things I have that may help.
1. I am a full time student and worker (two jobs) and need my vehicle for those travels
2. I work in human services at a nonprofit (both jobs) that require me to have a clean driving record (no more than 6 points). Without a good driving record, it could result in no job.
3. I was trained 3 different defensive driving classes for my employers including road test. I do have these training certificates including a new one taken AFTER the charge.
4. I do not have any past criminal convictions

Can I get away with a sentence reduce of a speeding ticket?

single317dad

If you value your license and job, you should definitely hire an attorney. The relatively small amount spent would be easily outweighed by the amount lost from loss of employment.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I was charged with reckless driving of 97 in a 70 while coming around a downhill curve.

Here are some of the things I have that may help.
1. I am a full time student and worker (two jobs) and need my vehicle for those travels
2. I work in human services at a nonprofit (both jobs) that require me to have a clean driving record (no more than 6 points). Without a good driving record, it could result in no job.
3. I was trained 3 different defensive driving classes for my employers including road test. I do have these training certificates including a new one taken AFTER the charge.
4. I do not have any past criminal convictions

Can I get away with a sentence reduce of a speeding ticket?
In Virginia, a reckless driving conviction is a class I misdemeanor (a criminal offense, not just a speeding ticket). The potential penalties include jail time, suspension of driving privileges, and a fine of up to $2,500.00. Additionally, a conviction will result in six demerit points on your Virginia driver’s license. Some other states have reciprocity agreements with Virginia, meaning a Virginia reckless driving conviction may appear on your driving record even if you live in a different state. You may have to explain that misdemeanor conviction at inconvenient times throughout your life, such as when applying for a job or security clearance. If you already have points on your driver's license for other offenses, getting a reckless driving conviction will put it over the 6 point limit you need to be under to keep that job.

What strikes me as funny here is that you don't seem to have any remorse over what you did. All of your questions seem to relate directly to how to avoid the consequences of your decision to speed like a raving maniac. That's important, because what you're looking at is not just a simple speeding ticket, but a potential criminal conviction on your record. While you claim to have taken several defensive driving courses, none of those taken PRIOR this incident stopped you from driving at an excessive speed, so trying to offer to take another one would be a waste of time - both for you, and for the court, since you failed to learn self-control when taking them previously.

You most definitely need to hire an attorney this time around. Maybe they can minimize the consequences and maybe they can't. Maybe they can keep you out of jail, or keep you from paying a huge fine. I cannot, however, see them waiving the entire 6-point penalty on your license.

Perhaps it's time to reflect and take a moment to understand the gravity of your situation. This exhibit of poor judgment could cost you more than a mere fine, but it could cost you a job and your freedom. That's something you SHOULD be thinking about.

FlyingRon

You absolutely need a lawyer.

At 97 you are in the range that judges will certainly think about throwing you in jail for a few days to make a point. It's almost guaranteed at 100. (60 days suspended down to 8, and you'll serve 4). Most judges around here are indisposed to "weekend" sentences as well.

You can count on a six month suspension and two months of HARD SUSPENSION before getting even a restricted license.

Note well everything Sandy says as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
May I ask what may be a really dumb question?

How do you not know that you're 27 MPH over the speed limit?!
My guess is he thought he was special and could drive like Thomas Howard. The difference here seems to be this OP didn't kill any innocent people.

single317dad

May I ask what may be a really dumb question?

How do you not know that you're 27 MPH over the speed limit?!
There are some really steep gorges in the mountains where it can be difficult to regulate one's speed properly. In my days driving a truck, I had some interesting moments in VA/WV. That said, 97mph is inexcusable.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Here are some of the things I have that may help....
Help? Help how? Why do you think that anything that you mentioned could possibly have any effect on your case?
How do those things mitigate or justify what you did?

Moking

My guess is he thought he was special and could drive like Thomas Howard. The difference here seems to be this OP didn't kill any innocent people.
First, I did not come here for you to pass judgement. I was going down a hill and running late for a funeral in North Carolina. It is not an excuse and I have learned from it by watching my speed. I am not some driver that weave in and out of lanes or cut people off. Now you are the only one special enough to take time out of your schedule to give me your full attention. If you are not a part of the solution, please excuse yourself from this conversation. You will be ignored.

Thank You

Moking

In Virginia, a reckless driving conviction is a class I misdemeanor (a criminal offense, not just a speeding ticket). The potential penalties include jail time, suspension of driving privileges, and a fine of up to $2,500.00. Additionally, a conviction will result in six demerit points on your Virginia driver’s license. Some other states have reciprocity agreements with Virginia, meaning a Virginia reckless driving conviction may appear on your driving record even if you live in a different state. You may have to explain that misdemeanor conviction at inconvenient times throughout your life, such as when applying for a job or security clearance. If you already have points on your driver's license for other offenses, getting a reckless driving conviction will put it over the 6 point limit you need to be under to keep that job.

What strikes me as funny here is that you don't seem to have any remorse over what you did. All of your questions seem to relate directly to how to avoid the consequences of your decision to speed like a raving maniac. That's important, because what you're looking at is not just a simple speeding ticket, but a potential criminal conviction on your record. While you claim to have taken several defensive driving courses, none of those taken PRIOR this incident stopped you from driving at an excessive speed, so trying to offer to take another one would be a waste of time - both for you, and for the court, since you failed to learn self-control when taking them previously.

You most definitely need to hire an attorney this time around. Maybe they can minimize the consequences and maybe they can't. Maybe they can keep you out of jail, or keep you from paying a huge fine. I cannot, however, see them waiving the entire 6-point penalty on your license.

Perhaps it's time to reflect and take a moment to understand the gravity of your situation. This exhibit of poor judgment could cost you more than a mere fine, but it could cost you a job and your freedom. That's something you SHOULD be thinking about.
I work two jobs for a nonprofit in human services. I give back to my community 70 hours a week helping my clients with disabilities find jobs. You do not know me enough to make statements that are false and irrelevant to me seeking advice.

As stated before, you do not know me so do not pass judgement. It was a rough day and trip to North Carolina where I made my way down a mountain without regulating my speed. If I was not thinking about what I did, I would not be here to seek advice. I do not need a lecture.

Update: I was able to write the judge a letter and we worked something out that will prevent me from losing my job and license.

Thread Now CLOSED

Thank You

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">