• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Due to Speed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JLC in VA

I received a ticket in Virginia going 82mph on a 55mph highway. I have to appear in court and the officer said it was reckless by law because of the speed. I have not had a prior ticket for over 5 years. I have had only two tickets in twenty years, both speeding 10mph/13mph over the limit. What should I expect to happen in court? Do I need an attorney for this, or am I fairly safe on my own? Should I just expect fines or more? Thank you.

S

sac11550

I would hold off on getting an attorney right away. find out what the fine is for reckless. i am guessing the fine is a hell of a lot less then an attorney would be. when you go to court speak with the DA, (usually interens at traffic court) and tell them you would be willing to pleed to speeding. sometimes they will let you pleed in order to keep you for setting it for trial. also just so you know in most states, 20mph over the limit is considered to be reckless driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">