• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving and excessive speeding ticket in Arizona.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lotus_Eater

What is the name of your state?Arizona

I was driving West on a busy road (just passed a very busy intersection), There was an SUV tailgating me and another car at the side of me. The SUV doesn’t look like he is going to back of so I accelerate briefly and move in front of the other vehicle (lane change) to let him pass. The next thing I know I see a cop with his lights on coming up fast from behind. I pull off the road and he gets out of his car and starts literally shouting at me “why, why did you do it?” I tried to stay calm and asked “do what”. He says “you were doing 85 in a 45”? I said "no way". I asked "what makes you think I was doing that kind of speed?", he said that he got me on radar. I asked to see the radar, he said "no", I asked: "what type of radar is it and what band does it run on?" He said: “I’ll tell you when you get out of jail for reckless driving”. At that point I shut up and started with the “yes Sir, no Sir” stuff as not to upset him anymore. The facts are below and I would really appreciate some help of what to do here:

1. There was no radar hit, I know this because I have a Valentine One radar detector and it always picks up any radar miles ahead (unless it’s POP which they don’t use here in AZ yet).
2. I really wasn’t doing 85 in a 45, it is just not possible at that time of the day in this area, I had just been waiting in a line of traffic to get through the junction, it is physically impossible to do that kind of speed if I were that stupid because of the traffic if front of me.
3. I did probably touch 55 to 60 (wasn’t looking at the speedo) for a split second as I moved in front of the car to my right and then slowed back down to the speed limit.
4. I have had a speeding ticket about 2 years ago (10mph over on a freeway, they were cracking down at this particular place at the time, I went to school, it went away).

What should I do? I certainly wasn’t reckless driving in my opinion. The cop was very belligerent and rude but I guess there is nothing I can do about that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Lotus_Eater

Update

Lotus_Eater said:
What is the name of your state?Arizona

I was driving West on a busy road (just passed a very busy intersection), There was an SUV tailgating me and another car at the side of me. The SUV doesn’t look like he is going to back of so I accelerate briefly and move in front of the other vehicle (lane change) to let him pass. The next thing I know I see a cop with his lights on coming up fast from behind. I pull off the road and he gets out of his car and starts literally shouting at me “why, why did you do it?” I tried to stay calm and asked “do what”. He says “you were doing 85 in a 45”? I said "no way". I asked "what makes you think I was doing that kind of speed?", he said that he got me on radar. I asked to see the radar, he said "no", I asked: "what type of radar is it and what band does it run on?" He said: “I’ll tell you when you get out of jail for reckless driving”. At that point I shut up and started with the “yes Sir, no Sir” stuff as not to upset him anymore. The facts are below and I would really appreciate some help of what to do here:

1. There was no radar hit, I know this because I have a Valentine One radar detector and it always picks up any radar miles ahead (unless it’s POP which they don’t use here in AZ yet).
2. I really wasn’t doing 85 in a 45, it is just not possible at that time of the day in this area, I had just been waiting in a line of traffic to get through the junction, it is physically impossible to do that kind of speed if I were that stupid because of the traffic if front of me.
3. I did probably touch 55 to 60 (wasn’t looking at the speedo) for a split second as I moved in front of the car to my right and then slowed back down to the speed limit.
4. I have had a speeding ticket about 2 years ago (10mph over on a freeway, they were cracking down at this particular place at the time, I went to school, it went away).

What should I do? I certainly wasn’t reckless driving in my opinion. The cop was very belligerent and rude but I guess there is nothing I can do about that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Well, I got a lawyer (the best in town I'm told). So we'll see how it goes.

Does anyone care to guess what I'll get for the above offenses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">