• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving offense help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hlc1969

I was pulled over in Virginia going 92 in a 65, which makes for a reckless driving ticket. It carries possible jail time. I plan to hire a lawyer, but am curious if anyone knows if and how much the court will take into account a driver improvement course taken online (I live in Tennessee), I found a site that state it is approved by Virginia DMV. But will it mean anything in court?
Any advice is much appreciated.

lwpat

Only helps before court if you are a VA driver and take the voluntary safe driver points. Some courts will reduce the ticket if you agree to take the course but your attorney needs to handle that for you. Hope you have a pile of extra cash lying around, you are going to need it.

homillerlaw

Driving School Before Court

Depending on the jurisdiction you are in in Virginia, a conviction for driving in excess of ninety will guarantee you some jail time. There are several things you can do to try to reduce the speed below 90 mph.

1) Get a calibration of your car's speedometer.
2) Examine the calibration certificate of the arresting officer's radar unit.
3) Attend court ordered driving school.

As you were asking about driving school, many courts will not order it if you have been to a court-ordered class within the last 5 years. Beware, though, that some jurisdictions in Virginia now refuse to order driving school as a means of mitigating a speeding violation. I think in your situation taking it before your case would be more effective than waiting until after you are tried, and potentially convicted. Because of the risk of jail time, you should immediately contact an attorney to represent you on this charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">