• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving, open container, and crash leaving scene.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devappy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
I got pulled over 3 weeks ago. They pulled me out of the car, and found an open bottle of alcohol with my roomate. They had me take a sobriety test. I passed the test, and they gave me tickets- well 2. It was the reckless driving, and open container.
After that they gave me my keys back, and told me to walk home or call a cab. We proceeded to walk home, and tried to figure out a way to get a ride without paying for a cab. None of our friends were picking up, so I said we should just walk it off.

My friend had to pee, and so we stopped at a tree. The conversation came up that everyone locks there car here in st pete. I usually don't in my neighborhood. I pulled a car handle on a car, and the door opened. I immediately, shut the car door. Right when I did a guy came out, and yelled at us to get away from the car. I said sorry your door is unlocked, and left, he then said no problem. Well around 10 minutes later the cops stopped us and said we were going into houses and cars, and stealing from them. A random guy even said we tried to steal his bike. We got arrested and spent 2 days in jail. A week later I got another ticket in the mail by my arresting officer for crash- leaving scene. The thing is I was in jail when that ticket says I left the scene of a crash. SO it is bogus!

I have court monday, and I would like to ask the judge for community service, and take classes, but I don't know how to tell him about the other ticket. I am being charged for a felony for conveyance unoccupied. That is a different case, and I don't want to bring that up in court to the judge. I don't want to say the last ticket is bogus cause I was in jail. What will he think?

So what should I do? I can't afford a lawyer. I have no priors- nothing. A clean record, and driving record.

I don't know why I pulled the handle. It was stupid, and I have been drinking a lot. I haven't drink since this incident. I am a college student, and I work. Its not like I cause trouble all the time. I never been in this situation before.

Last edited:

You should plea not guilty and ask for a public defender to be assigned to you. Talk to no one about your case except your attorney.

devappy

do you mean plead not guilty to the crash and leaving scene ticket only? Or plead not guilty to all of them.

devappy

I have not been set a court date for the burglary charge as of yet. It is a separate case. DO you think I should plead not guilty to the charge even though I am? Besides the one of crash and leaving scene. I am not guilty of that at all.

Handcoc

Can't wait to read your story on the burglary case. What you taking in college, criminal justice?

I never plead guilty to anything...but I have graduated college and am able to represent myself well in court.

You on the other hand appear to need the help of an attorney. I know, you cannot afford one. Can you afford spending 1 year in jail?

OHRoadwarrior

I bet the police even planted your finger prints on all the door handles to make you look guilty right? Take the money you would have spent for school and spend it on a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">