• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in open parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J.L.S

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US

It just started raining last night.I pulled in to wal-mart in open parking lot and turned around and a spun my tires and they charge me with reckless driving. Is this a false charge

CdwJava

It just started raining last night.I pulled in to wal-mart in open parking lot and turned around and a spun my tires and they charge me with reckless driving. Is this a false charge
What state was this in?

What statute were you cited for violating?

What time of day or night was it?

And did you light 'em up, or simply "chirp" the tires for an instant?

davidmcbeth3

Search out your state's laws concerning the enforcement of traffic laws on private property. Many states require a contract be filed , recorder of deeds is the usual holder of the contract, if one is required.

Its an effective affirmative defense.

HomeGuru

**A: I believe you have down played your part. I would like to hear the cops side of the story.

CdwJava

Search out your state's laws concerning the enforcement of traffic laws on private property. Many states require a contract be filed , recorder of deeds is the usual holder of the contract, if one is required.

Its an effective affirmative defense.
Maybe ... but, very often, reckless acts can be charged on private property that is publicly accessible in much the same way as DUI can - even without such a contract.

That's why the specific statute is important. In my state there is different reckless driving offenses for public and for private property, and the elements are slightly different.

J.L.S

What state was this in? NC

What statute were you cited for violating? Marion

What time of day or night was it? night

And did you light 'em up, or simply "chirp" the tires for an instant? it was raining and it a chirp

CdwJava

What state was this in? NC

What statute were you cited for violating? Marion

What time of day or night was it? night

And did you light 'em up, or simply "chirp" the tires for an instant? it was raining and it a chirp
The "statute" is the code section you were charged with. That should be a series of numbers.

CdwJava

Here is the section:

§ 20‑140. Reckless driving.
(a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property shall be guilty of reckless driving.
(c) Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 435, s. 23.
(d) Reckless driving as defined in subsections (a) and (b) is a Class 2 misdemeanor.
(e) Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 435, s. 23.
(f) A person is guilty of the Class 2 misdemeanor of reckless driving if the person drives a commercial motor vehicle carrying a load that is subject to the permit requirements of G.S. 20‑119 upon a highway or any public vehicular area either:
(1) Carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others; or
(2) Without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. (1937, c. 407, s. 102; 1957, c. 1368, s. 1; 1959, c. 1264, s. 8; 1973, c. 1330, s. 3; 1979, c. 903, ss. 7, 8; 1981, c. 412, s. 4; c. 466, s. 7; c. 747, s. 66; 1983, c. 435, s. 23; 1985, c. 764, s. 28; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 852, s. 17; 1993, c. 539, s. 365; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2000‑109, s. 7(b).)​

The state must meet the elements above. With the lack of details provided, we can't say how easy that might be. Your attorney can obtain the police reports and see whether or not there is a chance for a defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">