• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Police Jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CT20user

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I was traveling traffic speed (80mph) on I95. I was pulled over after moving into the slow lane, still not passing the tractor trailers to my left. I have two questions.
1. In CT does a City of Groton police officer have jurisdiction on I95 a state highway?

2. I received only a court summons for reckless driving saying 90, however it then says in the lower boxes ACTUAL SPEED: 80 and POSTED LIMIT: 65 . Is the ACTUAL SPEED what he clocked me at? If so, with the CT Reckless Driving Speed currently at 85mph doesn't that nullify the charge?

If possible please get back to me asap.

Some Random Guy

Yes, he can have jurisdiction. Was he observing you from within city limits?

You can certainly use the actual speed as a defense to the reckless driving charge. However, was speed the only reason for the reckless driving charge?

CT20user

Within city limits? That's an interesting question. He would have had to clock me while I was crossing the Thames River on a bridge between New London and Groton. By the time I gotten to the Groton side I had already slowed down considerably (slow lane) and that is when he pulled me over. Does it matter if he clocked me say on the New london side of the bridge? What determines the cities jurisdiction, half way between the river? I've never seen a local cop due a traffic stop on the highway that's why it surprised me.

I wasn't weaving if that's what you mean, ticket just says Reckless Driving 90. I think I got too excited when i saw the 80 in actual speed, it looks like he wrote 80 then tried to write a 9 on top of the 8(hence why I didn't notice it at first).

Does anyone know the consequences of reckless driving in CT? Should I get a lawyer? Basically my question is are the consequences worth the cost of a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">