• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving and possible Fake ID

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mau26

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I got a ticket in (Prince William and?) Manassas County doing 95/60. I was a bit surprised because I have a 94 Nissan Pathfinder with 185,000 miles on it and didnt realize it could even pass 80mph. On top of that when I was fumbling though my wallet to find my registration the cop noticed another liscense. The cop told me to hand it over and asked me if I used it to get into clubs. I told him no and that a friend left it in my car (hes out of the country now) and that is why i have it. He went back to go check the SS# and told me about how the name that it gave him didnt match up with the name on the card. He then told me that if my friend wanted it back that he would have to pick it up at court (but hes in Japan right now...). Didnt tell the officer anything other that hat.

So the first thing I did was take the 8 hour driver improvement classes and replaced the sensors on my speedometer (along with 3 other things.) Now I dont know if I should get a lawyer or what I should say to the judge. I plan on explaining to him the condition of my car, the glitchy speed sensor, and how this was my first real traffic offense. Ive had tickets before, but they were for expired tags and a no turn on red. Ive been driving for 3 years and I plan on taking a record of my history to cout. And also should I be worrying about the police officer also charging me with about ID since he didnt give me a ticket when he pulled me over?

Is there anything else the judge will take into consideration? Should I maybe tell him about how im involved with community around me or my grades?

racer72

Get a lawyer. The defective equipment is not an excuse, especially at 35 over. Your community involvement and grades are irrelevent.

Mau26

Get a lawyer. The defective equipment is not an excuse, especially at 35 over. Your community involvement and grades are irrelevent.
Thanks. I was just wondering with all those circumstances and this being my first ticket what would my chances be to get a reduced charge... one that isnt actually a felony.

I heard in some cases that the judge will just have you pay a fine, and take classes for first time offense, and it wont go on your permanent record if you comply.

TYRIS

I was just wondering with all those circumstances and this being my first ticket what would my chances be to get a reduced charge... one that isnt actually a felony.

-I've never heard of a speeding ticket being a felony offense. At best it could be a misdemeanor offense. Mechanical problems with your vehicle may help, it usually depends on the judge and what the Officer's statement is.

I heard in some cases that the judge will just have you pay a fine, and take classes for first time offense, and it wont go on your permanent record if you comply.
-You're not a first time offender, you've had tickets before, regardless of what they were for.

I'm not from your state, but most judges can give the option of traffic school which will take the ticket off your record. However; being that you were 35 mph over the limit Ican't tell you if that will be an option (I know in Ca it wouldn't be). I do know that in my state that judges will generally reduce the fine if you plead guilty so as not to take up the courts time.

If I were you I would do a little research on line about speeding tickets in your state and what qualifies you for traffic school. I would also go to the traffic court prior to your court date and watch how the judges are ruling in the cases. This will give you an idea of whether you should plead guilty/not guilty or hire an attorney.

As to the I.D., if he did not charge with it I wouldn't worry about it.

-Tyris

Mau26

-I've never heard of a speeding ticket being a felony offense. At best it could be a misdemeanor offense. Mechanical problems with your vehicle may help, it usually depends on the judge and what the Officer's statement is.
In the state of virginia, a reckless carries the same weight as a DUI...

As to the I.D., if he did not charge with it I wouldn't worry about it.
Can he charge me for it at court, adding to the reckless? Or will that be another court date...?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">