• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Ticket in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drtan

I live in VA. On last Friday, my friend’s son who is 16 got a reckless driving ticket for speeding 90/55 in VA (he said he did about 70/55). The officer summoned him to the District Criminal Court. Should it be a Juvenile Court instead of a Criminal Court? If yes, can we use this mistake to get a dismissal?

D

dabear

This is a Traffic offense. A 16 yr old accused of a traffic offense does not go to a juvenile court.

D

drtan

Sorry I didn't ask the question correctly. My friend told me that on the ticket, there are 3 different courts: (1) General District Court(Traffic), (2) General District Court (Criminal), and (3)Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court. The officer checked the (2). I should have asked "Should it be (1)?" and "if it should be (1), is it a good reason to ask for a dismissal?" - Thank you.

racer72

Wreckless driving in most states is a criminal traffic offense. Most traffic offenses are considered civil and are handled in traffic court. If the ticket has been a simple speeding ticket, #1 would have been the correct choice. #2 is the correct choice in this case.

D

drtan

Thank you for your help. I called the Court and found that the officer had made a mistake in checking the court box. The case is now in the Juvenile Court. In Virginia, for this case, my friend's son should be summoned to the Junile Court. By the way, I found an excellent official resource for Virginia Law: http://www.courts.state.va.us/ If you like to know more about Virginia law please take a look at that website. I think it is very helpful.

D

dabear

I dont know Virginias law, in Washington State the 16 yr old would have been in a district court because it was a traffic offense. I thought all states would be the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">