• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving in va...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newuser4321

What is the name of your state? - Virginia.

I was cited yesterday for a 94/65 in Wythe County, VA. It was a reckless driving offense. I'm from out of state; had no idea about the laws. My driving record has 1 violation from a year ago in PA; otherwise it is totally clean (been driving for about 6 yrs). No other factors creating reckless driving involved. What should I realistically expect?

Also, does anyone from VA have any particular knowledge about Wythe County? Is it as bad as somewhere like Fairfax?

Start looking for a lawyer from that county, you will need one.

Search the posts here for reckless in VA for more info.

HomeGuru

newuser4321 said:

I was cited yesterday for a 94/65 in Wythe County, VA. It was a reckless driving offense. I'm from out of state; had no idea about the laws. My driving record has 1 violation from a year ago in PA; otherwise it is totally clean (been driving for about 6 yrs). No other factors creating reckless driving involved. What should I realistically expect?

Also, does anyone from VA have any particular knowledge about Wythe County? Is it as bad as somewhere like Fairfax?

**A: what state are you a resident in?

CarrieT

newuser4321 said:

I was cited yesterday for a 94/65 in Wythe County, VA. It was a reckless driving offense. I'm from out of state; had no idea about the laws. QUOTE]

Im just curious.... Which state has an over 90 mph speed limit?
Carrie

newuser4321

I'm definitely going to go with a lawyer; any info on ways in which this will help? Also, anyone have recommendations of lawyers in Wythe County?

chouchane1

I was in court (spotsylvania county, va) for reckless driving (94/65) a couple weeks ago.
I had clean records, I hired a lawyer, had my spedometer checked, got character letters from friends of mine stating that am a good person not a reckless person, took the driving course.
I wear nice suit at the court. My lawyer told me that the speed was too high to expect a reduction, but he will do his best to avoid me a licence suspension and he guarantied me no Jail time. After he talked to the police officer first, before the hearing, he decide that we should plea guilgty, because the the officer did his job, there was no point contesting him.
We did plea guilty. and guess what!! to my big surprise, the judge, took into consideration my clean records, the fact that I took the driving course and also very important that I was cooperative with the police officer. I beleive or not! he reduced my speed to 79/65, and he did not fine me, NO Fine yes. I just had to pay the court fee and of course $500 to the lawyer, and it was worth it.

reckless speeding in VA carry a max : $2500 fine, 12 months of jail and 6 month licence suspensin, plus six point in your DMV records for 11 years.

So My advice:
1) get a lawyer, the judge will advice you the same thing if you go to court without a lawyer. Very important, get a local lawyer, the lawyers, police officers, DA, Judges, all know each other, they can talk about your case before you get in front of the judge.
2) get your speedometer checked 1 or 2 miles off can make a difference
3) get your DMV records
4) get letter of character from your friends
5) dress well at the court, show respect to the judge
6) and Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">