• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thepitt

What is the name of your state? va Hampton roads area.
I drive a 00 dodge dakota and was pulling out of a parking lot making a left hand turn onto a four lane road. I kicked the backed end out (fished tailed it) and the truck's back end was in the other lane (far right lane). I had full control over the vehical. I straightened it back up and stopped at a stop light. then the cop pulled me and gave me a reckless driving ticket. Is there anyway to fight this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
thepitt said:
What is the name of your state? va Hampton roads area.
I drive a 00 dodge dakota and was pulling out of a parking lot making a left hand turn onto a four lane road. I kicked the backed end out (fished tailed it) and the truck's back end was in the other lane (far right lane). I had full control over the vehical. I straightened it back up and stopped at a stop light. then the cop pulled me and gave me a reckless driving ticket. Is there anyway to fight this?
If you had full control over the vehicle you would not have fishtailed. By going in to the far right lane you could have caused an accident. Hence the cop who gave you a ticket was in the right to stop you.

Some Random Guy

I kicked the backed end out (fished tailed it) and the truck's back end was in the other lane (far right lane). I had full control over the vehical.
Separately, these two sentences make sense (ignoring the spelling). But when put together, they do not.

You have not articulated anything in your story that would be a reason to beat the ticket.

homillerlaw

Fishtailing as reckless driving

Police in Virginia will typically charge reckless driving for this type of occurrence because of the wording in the general reckless driving statute, which criminalizes any driving that endangers the "life, limb or property of any person." Such endangering is not restricted just to other people on the road, but you also.

Why did the wheels spin? Was there a mechanical malfunction, was there gravel or oil on the road, or was this merely a situation where you put too much gas into the turn. If there is a valid reason that places the fishtailing out of your control, then yes, you could have an argument for the court to dismiss or reduce the charge. If your record is clean, and you have not been to court-ordered driving school in the last 5 years, you would still have a good opportunity to obtain a reduction of the charge.

Reckless driving in Virginia is considered a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail, a $2500 fine, 6 month license suspension, and 6 demerit points on your driving record. Additionally, this charge shows up on your criminal record if you ever apply for a job, security clearance, credit etc. You would do well to consider retaining an attorney to assist you with your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">