• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in VA- advice!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hybridgirl

I have a previous speeding ticket (that should have been called reckless driving 75/55) that I did not have to appear in court for. I also should have faught that ticket but being full-time work/school I was unable to go... so like a silly person, I paid. I got that ticket going towards Dulles airport (Fairfax courts) and there were other cars around me but few were singled out. I was one of the lucky ones.

Fast forward to recently. I was going home on a clear night around 11:45pm after work and I'm rounding a corner (as I round the corner it is also a hill that naturally speeds the car. I have my brakes applied the whole time.) Once rounding the corner I see a speed sign for 25 and I'm going about 43 or so... so I slow more and then see the cop parked by a stop light in a residential neighborhood. When I pass him of course he stops me and tickets me saying he has me on radar going 55. He writes the ticket for 52/25 Reckless Driving and I have to appear in court.

I went about 4 days later to my court date where they ask me will I represent myself, lawyer, or court appointed. I said hire a lawyer. So I start calling laywers and they are very expensive. Amoungst my bills and paying for school, I can't afford that. Anyone have some good advice on what I should do? Or if you know a laywer that will be reasonable. I understand this is very serious but if I am unable to pay then I will be worse. Please help!

I know I will get my speed calibrated because I know I have some issues. Can anyone recommend anyone they have gone to? I'm not sure if all of this is a factor but my tires were also losing alot of air. Does that affect actual speed? My tire pressure light was on that day (on a Thursday). I went away for the weekend and came back on Monday and one of my tires was completely flat.

By the way, the 1st speed posting sign I have noticed before rounding that corner was blocked by tree branches with leaves. You can't see the posted speed. Also, when you round that corner there isn't another speed sign until you get to where the cop was parked. The street that I came off of was a limit of about 35 or maybe 45. Can't remember which but I know it wasn't 25. Does any of this help?

I have little time now to prepare (full-time work/school) my trial is on the 25th of Sept. Would I be able to ask for a continuance?

FlyingRon

Your grasping at straws. Under-inflated tires are going to make you think the car is going faster than it really is, so that isn't going to help.

What court? Fairfax? Loudoun? The judges treat this charge a bit differently from county to county.

Reckless driving is a serious charge, but fortunately 50 in a 25 isn't likely to get you jail time, serious fine and a lot of points. You should go to the commonwealth attorney and see if he'll plead down the case in exchange for driving school (one day class, and if you're 20 or over you can even do online).

Showing up in court after you got a continuance to obtain counsel without counsel isn't going to give you any points with the judge. You'll be tried immediately whether you are ready or not.

In most places the implicit speed limit on a residential street is 25 whether it's posted or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">