• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J1985F1985

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I live in MD, got pulled over on the Beltway for 84 in 55 (Reckless Driving-Speeding). I took a VA driver's improvement class and have a spotless record. What do I plead in court to have the charge reduced? I do not have a lawyer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You Are Guilty

J1985F1985 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I live in MD, got pulled over on the Beltway for 84 in 55 (Reckless Driving-Speeding). I took a VA driver's improvement class and have a spotless record. What do I plead in court to have the charge reduced? I do not have a lawyer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Insanity.

Do you really think there's a "secret word" you can use to get a ticket reduced? Don't you think everyone would be doing that if that was the case?

If you're really worried and were such a good driver in the past, get a traffic attorney.

xcait

I got a 79/45 ticket in Virginia, but mine was on parkway, so it was in federal court, not Virginia court.

Please guilty..the prosecutor will come up to you and offer you a plea. Unless you have a valid excuse, I'd take the plea.

prs24

PLEASE HIRE A LAWYER!!!!!! I got 81/55 and my lawyer told me that I was at least okay since I was going under 83. He told me that with 83/84 and above that jailtime was a possibility!!!!!!!!! HIRE A LAWYER. I hired one in the town that I got the ticket in. I had a great driving record and was positive 4 points! I avoided jailtime, suspension, and ended up with 600 fee. I basically paid more and they reduced my ticket to 74 which will just be a normal ticket.

Unfortunately the prosecutor wont talk to you before court if you are trying to plea bargin you and they dont always come up to you willing to plea bargin. They only will deal with other lawyers. Its the nature of the beast! It sucks. But VA really has cracked down on "reckless" driving and doesnt really tolerate it. Best of Luck in court and let us know how it goes. Not enough people follow up on here to let people know what happened!

prs24 writes:

PLEASE HIRE A LAWYER!!!!!! I got 81/55 and my lawyer told me that I was at least okay since I was going under 83. He told me that with 83/84 and above that jailtime was a possibility!!!!!!!!! HIRE A LAWYER. I hired one in the town that I got the ticket in. I had a great driving record and was positive 4 points! I avoided jailtime, suspension, and ended up with 600 fee. I basically paid more and they reduced my ticket to 74 which will just be a normal ticket.

Unfortunately the prosecutor wont talk to you before court if you are trying to plea bargin you and they dont always come up to you willing to plea bargin. They only will deal with other lawyers. Its the nature of the beast! It sucks. But VA really has cracked down on "reckless" driving and doesnt really tolerate it. Best of Luck in court and let us know how it goes. Not enough people follow up on here to let people know what happened!

Excellent advice. Useful and on point.

Comments:

If you’re only traveling 81 mph in the West, you better be in the rightmost lane and not blocking faster traffic.

Under-defining and over-charging seems to be a tactic of the abuse that Virginia calls traffic enforcement. No wonder there is such contempt for laws and those who enforce them.

It’s all about the money. How far away are we from the Mexican system of outright bribery?

You are Guilty writes in response to what the plea should be:

Insanity.

Do you really think there's a "secret word" you can use to get a ticket reduced? Don't you think everyone would be doing that if that was the case?

Worthless and condescending. And if everyone contested their tickets, the system would collapse overnight.

If you're really worried and were such a good driver in the past, get a traffic attorney.

That’s better.

You Are Guilty

James Young said:
You are Guilty writes in response to what the plea should be:

Insanity.

Worthless and condescending. And if everyone contested their tickets, the system would collapse overnight.

That’s better.
Gee, thanks Professor. Thanks to my unique pschological need to seek approval from morons, you have managed to make me very happy.

You are Guilty writes:

Gee, thanks Professor.

You’re welcome.

Thanks to my unique pschological need to seek approval from morons, you have managed to make me very happy.

Your “pschological” need and your psychological need are not unique to you. Everybody needs approval from their peers.

J

J1985F1985

Thanks prs24. I took your advice and hired a lawyer for court. Fairfax County is very stiff about reducing the charge, but eventually the lawyer bargained it to speeding and a $250 fine, using the fact that I had to fly home from the University of Michigan for court. Thanks again to those who gave relevant and useful advice.

You were smart to get a lawyer. This is a CRIMINAL charge, not a traffic infraction in Virginia. It's a CLASS 1 Misdemeanor offence (same class as DUI/DWI). Why? Ask the folks in Richmond. Whatever the reason, you do not want a conviction or guilty plea - because you'll get a criminal record as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">