• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving in virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STUSKIII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
Today I have received a reckless driving citation saying that i must appear to court in Virginia. I am a Maryland resident, I got pulled over after i rapidly accelerated under a bridge though never exceeding the speed limit. I have an exhaust on my car so it very loud driving under the bridge or in the tunnel. After the cop pulled me over he took about 30 min to look up my info and 3 more officers came to help him. After he came out and gave me the citation. Saying he had to give me the appear to court notice because i was speeding to fast though the cross walk ( which i did not because the stop sign was right before it. at which i stopped), he said because my car is loud it gave me away. He had not seen me speed or do anyhting in that matter just heard my car. Ended up giving me the wrong part of paper, then he came back after another officer told him to give me the right side of the citation. Obviously the officer was new to his job and had no clue what he was doing, he also told me he almost arrested me because he could not look up my licence in the system. Never had a problem with that. I have no violations on my record, in the 8 year that i have been driving. Im extremely nervous about this situation. While looking through VA reckless laws i did not notice anything that i have done to be considered reckless driving. If anyone have any advise it be great appreciated, should I get a lawyer? Also on the ticket it says just reckless driving and not other explanation like speeding, passing or etc. Any input would be helpless. Thanks

FlyingRon

While there a ten or so things that can are presumed reckless: speeds in excess of 80, passing school buses, etc... there is a subjective catch all of "Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving."

The officer will make that case in court. This is a criminal charge. You should consult a lawyer. The usual result is to plea it down to careless driving. The exact procedure for this differs from court to court. Usually you make the request of the commonwealth's attorney just in advance of the court session.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">