• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving in virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeffysno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I received a reckless driving ticket for going 83 in a 60 zone on the highway. I'm 21 and have a clean driving record and have never had any trouble with the law. I understand that I was speeding and what I did was wrong, but trying to figure out what to do next. Should I get a lawyer? I've read online that reckless driving is a class 1 misdemeanor and fines could be up to a $2,500 fine and a year in prison. I've also read that 1st time offenders, with no history with the courts and driving under 90 mph can often times get just a $200-300 fine. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or know someone that was? Can/would a lawyer be able to do anything in my situation? Any chance they might be able to get the charge lowered or reduced more so than my going to court and being honest that I screwed up and have learned my lesson?

OHRoadwarrior

Yes, you need a lawyer. What you did was very foolish and can have criminal implications the rest of your life. A lawyer would be an excellent choice, to attempt mitigation of this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">