• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving in virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gentan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia

Hi, I am seeking some advice on picking an attorney and I hope this is the right place to post it. We live in Florida but my father recently got a ticket for doing 81 on a 70 mph speed limit interstate while driving through virginia. My father spoke little English but was cooperative the whole way. I found out that this is not just a ticket for reckless driving but a class 1 misdemeanor in virginia and felt that we best hire an attorney to represent us. We are new people to the states so I really do not know how the system works or to what outcomes to expect. I have been contacting several lawyers and got a wide range of pricing from $150 to $600, advices such as taking driving improvement courses now to not take them at all, and promises from no points to reduced points. All the offices I am looking at have high reviews on the internet so I don't think I can go based on that either.

I am really hoping for some guidance on the topic. Certainly not a good way to start our new lives here but I guess there can be worse things. I don't think it will go as far as jail time but certainly can skyrocket our insurance premium as I see that Florida does transfer traffic points over. Many thanks and god blesses you all!

FlyingRon

You need to look for an attorney in the county in which you are cited. Some of the local bar associations can give referals to local attorneys that handle the specific kind of case you are looking for https://www.hg.org/bar-associations-virginia.asp

Reckless Driving is a class one misdemeanor. There's no JUST about it. He indeed could go to jail, though at 81 MPH without any aggravating thing like racing, etc... it isn't likely. Some of the "speed trap" jurisdictions will even waive the possibility of jail in the hopes you'll just plead guilty and pay the fine.

The General District Court is the court that this is heard in. Alas, there is a lot of variation from court to court. This is why you need a LOCAL attorney to the court you are to appear in. $400-600 is not an uncommon fee. The best outcome is to have it either outright dismissed (often this is contingent on taking a driver safety class) or reduced to a NON-CRIMINAL offesnse such as improper driving. The points are the LEAST of your worries.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Just be aware that if he has to take a defense driving class the court will tell you that it can be taken online - and it CAN. However, the FINAL EXAM for the class must be taken in person in VIRGINIA.

Within a short period of time your father will also be getting offers in the mail from various attorneys offering to deal with his case. You should have plenty to choose from.

gentan

Thank you for your replies. Yes I did get several mails from lawyers with very different pricing range. Obviously the pricing is a factor but I know what is at stake here so I just want to make sure I choose wisely. So besides pricing and what outcome to expect, what other information should I ask the lawyers? Thank you again for your attention!

FlyingRon

Just be aware that if he has to take a defense driving class the court will tell you that it can be taken online - and it CAN. However, the FINAL EXAM for the class must be taken in person in VIRGINIA.
Sorry HM, that's just not true. The online VADIP course has an online test. It does not need to be done in person. Some courts however route these case through the VASAP (the alcohol program), however. This requires a LIVE class (no exam as such, but you do have to appear in person).

FlyingRon

Like I said, best to get one who knows specifically the judge you're going to appear in front of. That's what I would ask. Lots of variability in these GDC judges.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Kathy the OP is not around to offer us any updates. You're out of luck there.

You opened your own thread so stick with posting there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">