• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in Virginia - 87/70 (July/2016)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChangingGears

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was driving home from VT Orientation and was headed north on I-81 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. When the officer pulled me over, he issued a Virginia Uniform Summons, Law Section C20-2, Reckless Driving by Speed 87/70, code 46.2-862. I asked how much the fine was thinking it was a speeding ticket and he said that there is no set fine. He also said that if I didn't show up on my court date the fine would be decided then and mailed to me.

After getting home and doing a little online research I was floored and mortified of the consequences of my actions. From everything I've read, which was probably a bad idea to begin with, it looks like I should hire a lawyer from that county. I am hoping the lawyer can represent me without the need for me to be present. On the Uniform Summons, I signed where it says, "I promise to appear a the time and place shown above. Signing this summons is not an admission of guilt. I certify that my current mailing address is as shown below." but my signature didn't show up on my yellow copy. Did I totally mess myself up on this? The Rockbridge County's location in regards to my home is about 4 hours away. After 44 years of driving, I have a spotless driving record and I am more then willing to take a drivers course hoping they can be completed online. Please advise me on what to do next.

I have lots of questions....

Is it possible to write to the Rockbridge Count Courts with my driving record attached pleading guilty and resolve it that way? If so what could I expect the outcome to be? If so who do I write to?
Can I hire a lawyer from that area to represent me without me having to be present on the day of court?
Can I get this cleared up sooner then the court date I was given.
Should I speak with the Commonwealth Attorney first?
Should I attend the court hearing with a lawyer?
Should I appear in person and try to handle this without a lawyer?
Should I ignore it and see what the court decides as the officer stated I could do?
Does anyone know how these rulings normally pan out?

Any and all help is welcomed.
Please point me in the right direction.

Kathy

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The General District Court procedures vary from county to county. I don't believe anyone here can answer all of your questions specific to Rockbridge County.

Your only real option is to consult a local attorney who knows and operates in the court in question. Some courts accept plea deals and some do not.

My GF got a misdemeanor speed in King George county and ended up going into court blind and expecting to be able to ask for a plea deal and ended up being found guilty as charged. She was given a chance to take an online class but had to return to VA to take the final exam - but the charge was dismissed.

However, as I said, every county is different. MAYBE someone here has experience in Rockbridge County and if so they will advise. But don't count on it.

xylene

You have a serious traffic matter with serious potential penalties.

You need a lawyer and you need to be prepared to appear in court.

You should totally discount anything the officer told you at the roadside. Policemen are not there to act on your behalf, the advice could be terrible, half truth or even outright lie.

While your clean record will be a factor, you need to let go of the notion that 'no one' was hurt.
The people and motorists of Virginia were.

Also, you don't get brownie points or credit for being cooperative with the officer. It really doesn't matter. If you weren't you would have been arrested. Perhaps your thinking that it does make some sort of difference should give you pause and tell you exactly why you need a lawyer who can actually make an argument that might lessen the potential punishment.

ChangingGears

Thanks for your input. You are right, I acted in an irresponsible and harmful way towards all and will modify my post to reflect such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">