• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in Virginia with a Maryland License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keepsitreal0055

I was caught speeding on my motorcycle in Virginia doing 110 on the highway...My court date was October 23...which I missed...I was fined $2500 and license suspended for six months...I was given another hearing for Dec 19.

I called the MVA today and was told my license was valid and not suspended with no points...Does this mean I'm in the clear?
Do I have to show up to court on Friday?
I've also heard they may confiscate my license, is this true?
I've researched the DLC and do the states actually follow the guidelines, is it just for show, or is it so backed up they haven't had time to process it yet?
I go to school in GA, GA isn't in the DLC, does this mean my license is good there?

Thank you for your help

JETX

Does this mean I'm in the clear?
Nope. Just that they haven't 'caught up with you' yet.

Do I have to show up to court on Friday?
Of course not!! Why do you think you should??

I've also heard they may confiscate my license, is this true?
Yep.... and they can also throw your ass in jail!!

I've researched the DLC and do the states actually follow the guidelines, is it just for show, or is it so backed up they haven't had time to process it yet?
All of it is for 'show'. You don't have to worry about the law or legal processes. They apply to everyone BUT you.

I go to school in GA, GA isn't in the DLC, does this mean my license is good there?
Nope. The minute you drive there and get stopped, they will check your Maryland license and see it is suspended. Then, you will get an introduction to the GEORGIA legal system.

keepsitreal0055

*******....i've been hearing a lot of different things...all you had to do was answer the questions.....check the attitude at the door next time.....its not my fault your wife's not putting out

Hey There

AN ANSWER to your questions

keepsitreal0055

The state that cited you Virginia
1. gets to collect the fine .
2. cannot suspend a licence held by the driver from another state.
In this case a driver who has a Maryland licence cannot have his
licence suspended by Virginia.

The state where the driver has his licence
(in your case Maryland)
would impose the same penalty (points) as if
the violation had occurred in that state.

Maryland rules on hearings
§ 12-202. Notice of required hearings.

(a) Notice required.- Except as otherwise provided in § 16-205.1 (f) of this article, if the Maryland Vehicle Law or a rule or regulation of the Administration provides that a license or privilege may be suspended or revoked only after a hearing, the Administration shall give the licensee:

(1) Written notice of the hearing and any charge made; and

(2) An opportunity to be heard in person.

(b) Time and manner of notice.- The notice required by this section shall:

(1) Contain the information required by § 12-204 of this subtitle;

(2) Be given at least 10 days before the date of the hearing; and

(3) Be sent to the licensee as provided in § 12-114 of this title.

MD Code, Transportation, § 21-901.1-

(a) A person is guilty of reckless driving if he drives a motor vehicle:
(1) In wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property; or
(2) In a manner that indicates a wanton or willful disregard for the safety of persons or property.
Defense offered is usually that noone was endangered.

Google:MD Transp. Code section 21-901.1)
and click on websites on first page for additional information to
clear up what's happening here.
I assume you received the Notice from a Maryland court to appear.
Some lawyers will consult for free or for a small fee ($50.00) once.
The driver/rider can decide if he wishes to retain the lawyer or procede on his own with the options that hopefully the lawyer explains to him.
Dec. 19th is just 5 days away . If a lawyer is consulted he/she should be advised so a later date can be set for the hearing if rules governing this is allowed. Or you may call and ask for a later date

Google:Hearing for licence suspension in Maryland
and click on the websites this brings up.
Reckless driving in MD =6 points.

A book published by NOLO on fighting traffic tickets has detailed information concerning your query and may be available through a public or school library.

Best Regards,
Hey There

keepsitreal0055

Thank you a lot Hey There

I have not received anything from Maryland....when I called they said my license was good and there were no tickets or fines or points....I've been told this is probably because they are backed up

A friend whose had a lot of experience with VA traffic court told me since this is my first ever offense the judge will probably lower the fine and lift the suspension....Does this usually happen?

No problem... your wife dropped her price to $10
Really????....two hours and that's the best you could come up with:confused:..try again

Last edited:
A friend whose had a lot of experience with VA traffic court told me since this is my first ever offense the judge will probably lower the fine and lift the suspension....Does this usually happen?
"Usually?" Not really. I recently observed a case where some overconfident jackass from California had been caught going 110 on the beltway, and the judge did not reduce his fine.

The real question is how the heck someone could physically manage to do 110 on the beltway.

FlyingRon

How fast were you going? Which court?
Over a 100 in some of the NoVA courts can guarantee you JAIL TIME.
Going 81 in a 65, can often get dismissed if you take driving school.
Other intermediate speeds can get the charge lowered if you take driving school.

keepsitreal0055

"Usually?" Not really. I recently observed a case where some overconfident jackass from California had been caught going 110 on the beltway, and the judge did not reduce his fine
The friend said since I'm a student, if I come crawling and begging on my knees to judge like a bitch I have a really good chance

The real question is how the heck someone could physically manage to do 110 on the beltway.
I was on a motorcycle...

How fast were you going? Which court?
Over a 100 in some of the NoVA courts can guarantee you JAIL TIME.
Going 81 in a 65, can often get dismissed if you take driving school.
Prince William traffic court...the ticket the court sent me has 90 even though the cop wrote 110...Is 90 too much to have dismissed

Thank you all for your help

seniorjudge

The friend said since I'm a student, if I come crawling and begging on my knees to judge like a bitch I have a really good chance

Don't bet on it.

Virginia does not usually negotiate these kinds of tickets.

FlyingRon

I'd get the phone book (or google) out and find a lawyer in Prince William county to talk to. I've only had experience with Fairfax and Loudoun (and Montgomery which is down by Blacksburg). Do not rely on your "friend's" assessment. Reckless is a misdemeanor, a serious charge. As I pointed out, you get a cop to say you were doing 110 in Fairfax or Loudoun and I guarantee you spend a few days in the drunk tank (suspended down from 60). Lawyers near each court know what how the judges react to various requests for leniency. They'll tell you what they can do over the phone. If they go to court for you it's usually in the $400-500 range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">