• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving wheelie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biggsjedi

I live in california. last night i did a wheelie and got pulled over, put in cuffs and my bike impounded. he got me for reckless driving. i guess that is worth two points. well i already have one point on my record, and im a class A driver, can some one tell me how this is going to work out. besides my other ticket, i have no other violations for anything, clean record.

Happy Trails

biggsjedi said:
I live in california. last night i did a wheelie and got pulled over, put in cuffs and my bike impounded. he got me for reckless driving. i guess that is worth two points. well i already have one point on my record, and im a class A driver, can some one tell me how this is going to work out. besides my other ticket, i have no other violations for anything, clean record.
From CA statutes:

Reckless Driving
VC23103. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
(c) Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104.

Amended Sec. 19, Ch. 739, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

mrmike_316

Man that sucks. I got pulled over two days ago for the same thing. Only he was gracious enough to give me a ticket for failure to control vehicle, failure to change address on license, and failure to register vehicle in 30 days after moving to different state. I gladly took all three not to go to jail. :) Still not sure what this is going to cost me though. I had a clean record. Now I will have points for the 1st ticket for sure but don't know about the second two.

N

NotACopOrLawyer

Since a conviction could affect your ability to work, hire a lawyer. (In this situation, the expression "he who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client" applies.) And don't hire the first one you talk to.

You probably have a month before you have to go to court, so use that time to find a good lawyer. Ask everyone you know if they have had first-hand experience with a good one. In all urban areas in CA there are lawyers who specialize in traffic cases. Some do just dui, some do it all.

NACOL

Shay-Pari'e

NotACopOrLawyer said:
Since a conviction could affect your ability to work, hire a lawyer. (In this situation, the expression "he who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client" applies.) And don't hire the first one you talk to.

You probably have a month before you have to go to court, so use that time to find a good lawyer. Ask everyone you know if they have had first-hand experience with a good one. In all urban areas in CA there are lawyers who specialize in traffic cases. Some do just dui, some do it all.

NACOL
So you are saying lose more money to defend a action that was clearly a violation of the CA traffic code? You forgot to push the book on him.

I don't think I have ever met any one so stupid. You need a different hobby.

Last edited:

weeeezzll

So you are saying lose more money to defend a action that was clearly a violation of the CA traffic code? You forgot to push the book on him.

I don't think I have ever met any one so stupid. You need a different hobby.
Just because you are guilty and plan to plead guilty doesn't mean that you should go into court with out a lawyer. It is sometimes more important to have a lawyer with you when you plead guilty than when you plan on pleading not guilty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just because you are guilty and plan to plead guilty doesn't mean that you should go into court with out a lawyer. It is sometimes more important to have a lawyer with you when you plead guilty than when you plan on pleading not guilty.
This thread is 5 years old...please watch the dates.

weeeezzll

I saw the date, but thought that I had something valuable to add. Many people are under the impression that a lawyer is only needed to fight a charge. How young does a thread have to be for me to reply to it?

racer72

I saw the date, but thought that I had something valuable to add. Many people are under the impression that a lawyer is only needed to fight a charge. How young does a thread have to be for me to reply to it?
Anything over a few weeks old is stale. The OP hasn't been back since the day he made his 1 post. 5 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">