• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless operation charge on the parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andryuha

What is the name of your state?
-Ohio.

Well, a few days ago, I took my BMW out after a long down time. I decided to take it for a spin. I went to the park nearby to snap some pics, and saw an empty parking lot - so I decided to do a few donuts. I spun like 2 times at most, and 3 cops surround me. One of the cops said that he saw me "hot doggin'" and wrote me a reckless operation ticket. Court appearance is mandatory, and I just need advice on what to do. I really don't have that much money to deal with a fine and increased insurance rates. I would hire a lawyer, but I can't really afford one. Therefore I just need to know what to say in court.

racer72

Nothing in your post suggests the ticket is invalid or not warranted. Without a lawyer, your best option is to show up at your hearing and negotiate a reduced charge and see if traffic school is an option. And they will work out a payment plan that can meet even the tightest of budgets.

jity

333.02 RECKLESS OPERATION ON STREETS, PUBLIC OR PRIVATE PROPERTY.

(a) No person shall operate a vehicle on any street or highway without due regard for the safety of persons or property.

(b) No person shall operate a vehicle on any public or private property other than streets or highways, without due regard for the safety of persons or property.

I really don't see an out for you - It is perfectly clear that you broke a law. Since you don't have any money - Your best shot is to fight it, some outs if true - you have never done anything like this and this is the first ticket (I doubt it)

My car has been broken for awhile and I wasn't used to driving it, or my accelator got stuck and It startled me - so I turned the wheel.

It also depends what you said to the cop when he asked you WTF are you doing????

Andryuha

I have 0 points on my driving record. I only got one ticket before I turned 18, which was for speeding, but at the age of 18, the points return to 0 as far as I know. I most certainly haven't done anything like that before. I told the cop that I was checking if suspension components worked properly, and nothing is lose, because I changed everything myself. Since I had no time to think that's all I was able to come up with at the time.

Andryuha

racer72 said:
Nothing in your post suggests the ticket is invalid or not warranted. Without a lawyer, your best option is to show up at your hearing and negotiate a reduced charge and see if traffic school is an option. And they will work out a payment plan that can meet even the tightest of budgets.
The officer did not offer to sign a ticket which susprised me. Would that make ant difference?

Bcar1463

From what I have seen/heard, that situation would have *generally* resulted in a careless driving ticket, althought this is totally cops disgression. Just saying you could possibly ask for a reduction. Best bet would be to hire a lawyer if it is important or critical that you don't have to pay a large fine or get all the points.

Andryuha

Bcar1463 said:
From what I have seen/heard, that situation would have *generally* resulted in a careless driving ticket, althought this is totally cops disgression. Just saying you could possibly ask for a reduction. Best bet would be to hire a lawyer if it is important or critical that you don't have to pay a large fine or get all the points.

That's what I figured, since hiring a lawyer could potentially save me money in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">