• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Ticket in Abandoned Lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTSTurbo

What is the name of your state? MN

Okay, so the first AutoX of the season is this coming Sunday and I just got new tires and an alignment, so I needed to test out the new settings and tires so I knew what to expect. At about 8:45 in the morning yesterday I went to an old Walmart that closed down last year and has been abandoned since to practice pin turns. There wasn't another car in the lot and nobody was around. I was there for about 15 mins and had just stopped to think if there was anything else I needed to practice and all of the sudden I see lights coming towards me in the lot. So, I turned off the car and waited.

Cop: What are we doing today?
Me: Testing out my new suspension and tires for the upcoming AutoX season.
Cop: Does this look like a racetrack?
Me: No
Cop: Do you think this is something you should be doing here?
Me: There's nobody around.
Cop: Give me your license and insurance papers.

Next thing I know, there's another cop there and when he comes back he gives me a citation for reckless driving and a court date. :eek:

Cop: You can't do that here, you never know when someone might come driving through or some kids might be riding their bikes. Your court date is on the bottom, you do have to show up, this is a misdometer.

First off, it was a Monday morning, most people were at work and the kids were in school. I didn't make it above 30 MPH at any point, plus when the cop showed up I was stationary, so he didn't see anything. And if someone had come through the lot, I would have a) seen them, and b) would have stopped until they passed.

I have a clean record and would like it to stay that way. Do I stand a chance?

I honestly didn't believe I was doing anything wrong. Yes, it's private property, but I wasn't causing any damage and if the owners had asked me to leave I would have. For those who don't know anything about AutoX, most courses are set up at empty parking lots. (Although we have permission from the owners to hold an event.) This is a nationally competitive motorsport. If there was an exact opposite to reckless driving, it would be AutoX. Since I have a clean record, what's the likelyhood of this being tossed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">