• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless in va

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samhain839

What is the name of your state?virginia
ok heres the deal i was on the james river bridge and then at the end of the bridge i see the blue lights (dun dun dun)i pulled over and the state tropper said he paced me doing 80-55 i didnt want to argue with him so i just said ok.the thing is i wasnt doing 80 and he was far behind me because by the time he pulled me i had already slowed down to 40...my question is how can he pace me from so far behind and a truck was right beside but the cop said i was going faster?i think the reason he pulled me instead of the truck is because i drive a tricked out 96 honda civic other than my paranoia of "the man"after tuner cars is it possible he could pace me when he was no where near me and is there a chance that i can beat this?i was speeding but not doing 80 i was doing 74 so any help you can advise thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
samhain839 said:
What is the name of your state?virginia
ok heres the deal i was on the james river bridge and then at the end of the bridge i see the blue lights (dun dun dun)i pulled over and the state tropper said he paced me doing 80-55 i didnt want to argue with him so i just said ok.the thing is i wasnt doing 80 and he was far behind me because by the time he pulled me i had already slowed down to 40...my question is how can he pace me from so far behind and a truck was right beside but the cop said i was going faster?i think the reason he pulled me instead of the truck is because i drive a tricked out 96 honda civic other than my paranoia of "the man"after tuner cars is it possible he could pace me when he was no where near me and is there a chance that i can beat this?i was speeding but not doing 80 i was doing 74 so any help you can advise thank you
That is your defense? You weren't doing 80 you were doing 74? Are you sure? Were your tires perfectly inflated and the proper size for your car? If not your speedometer could be off. Basically no. Not going to beat this.

samhain839

i had my cruise control set to 74 and had my car was calibrated last month.i knew i was speeding but i wasnt doing 80.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
samhain839 said:
i had my cruise control set to 74 and had my car was calibrated last month.i knew i was speeding but i wasnt doing 80.
Then I suggest you go into court and tell them that is your defense. You had your cruise control set at 74 therefore you KNOW you weren't doing 80. Pay the ticket. And slow yourself down. Try setting your cruise control at the speed limit. Then you would have a defense.

homillerlaw

In the City of Richmond, the Commonwealth Attorney (prosecutor) will normally not work out deals with defendants representing themselves, but will do so with attorneys. Richmond judges are also willing to order driving school (provided you have not been to court-ordered school in the last 5 years) with completion leading to a reduction or dismissal of the charge. I presume he charged you with reckless driving since you were travelling more than 20 mph over the speed limit? If so, definitely retain legal counsel as this is technically a criminal charge with significant consequences, as I have mentioned in other posts.

samhain839

yeh i have already checked out some lawyers but have to wait till monday to call them.do you or anyone know of some good lawyers in the hampton roads area?thanks again for all the help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">