• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless in VA - mandatory court - need help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsterling03

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I was given a ticket by a state trooper for going 76 in a 55 on Interstate 64 in the Virginia Beach area. It is mandatory reckless driving for speeding 20+ in virginia, so I have no choice but to go to court.

The circumstances were: I had taken a detour because there was a 40-minute backup at the Hampton Tunnel. But I wasn't sure where I was going. Suddenly, I saw a sign for the exit I needed to take, which was a 1/2 mile away. I was in the left lane, and it was rush hour, and there were cars in both lanes to my right. I tried to slow down to get behind the cars to get into the right lane, but I couldn't. So I saw a clearing up ahead, and chose to speed up in order to get up into that clearing, where I could safely cross over into the right lane. That's when the cop got me.

Unfortunately, I already have one other violation on my driving record, a 2-point speeding ticket that took place in Maryland on December 30, 2004 (only THREE months ago!) Other than that, it's clean. I'm a 24-year-old female.

Do I need lawyer? How can he/she help me in ways that I can't help myself? I want to get an inexpensive traffic lawyer, but do they have bad reputations with judges?

I'm assuming I should plead guilty because I really was going that fast. Can you plead guilty but still get a reduced sentence if you give an explanation?

Any advice?

Thanks so much.

lwpat

There are thousands of other posts about this issue. Do a search.

Basically if you appear in court they will reduce it to a speeding violation. How much of a reduction depends on the judge and the officer. You may want to appear and see what they offer before retaining an attorney.

lsterling03

lwpat said:
There are thousands of other posts about this issue. Do a search.

Basically if you appear in court they will reduce it to a speeding violation. How much of a reduction depends on the judge and the officer. You may want to appear and see what they offer before retaining an attorney.
---

Thank you for your timely response. You mentioned appearing to see what they offer first. Is that a possibility? I thought I had to appear before a judge and receive sentencing that day.

I have done a search, but I couldn't seem to find anything that matched my exact circumstance. I'm sure my questions have been asked a million times before, but it's new to me, so I would greatly benefit from any additional advice in reference to my specific questions from you or other members.

Thank you again for your help.

nba119

Get a laywer.
I was driving home from Hampton and pulled over for 21 over 65.
I had one blemish on my record, an accident and the judge gave me 30 days suspension and $250 fine.
Other people with similar violations got off with a laywer which I was pissed about.

lsterling03

nba119 said:
Get a laywer.
I was driving home from Hampton and pulled over for 21 over 65.
I had one blemish on my record, an accident and the judge gave me 30 days suspension and $250 fine.
Other people with similar violations got off with a laywer which I was pissed about.
Do you happen to recall if the people who had lawyers plead guilty or not guilty? I'm just curious as to whether most people plead guilty but just negotiated the sentence, or if they actually fought the charge.

Thanks, and sorry about what happened to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">