• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recklessdriving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NB123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
colorado
Incident involes a reckless driving charge
I'm not proud of this... and am sorry

What happened was I drove through a culddisac, and didn't hit him but he said something so I stopped and then took off. I switched places with my friend and I was going to through something at him (trash) he was standing in the middle of the road my friend tried to avoid him and he hit him.

My friend was charged with third degree assualt and he was sentenced to jail. I think this was because of the defendents statement.

I only have a reckless driving charge...
If this man asks for a jail sentence to be thrown my way... Is it likely to be given?
The offer I have from the DA is a 2piont defective vehicle and a 6 piont careless. I do not want this deal because it involves a driving class. Since I already lost my license because of this I would rather not take this.

Any ideas on what to do about this?

patstew

Your story doesn't make any sense to me.

What happened was I drove through a culddisac, and didn't hit him but he said something so I stopped and then took off.
This is completely unintelligible. I got the cul-de-sac part, but it's not clear what happened.

I switched places with my friend and I was going to through something at him (trash) he was standing in the middle of the road my friend tried to avoid him and he hit him.
He hit a person? The person at whom you were aiming the trash?

My friend was charged with third degree assualt and he was sentenced to jail. I think this was because of the defendents statement.
I think this was because he physically hit a person. :rolleyes:

The offer I have from the DA is a 2piont defective vehicle and a 6 piont careless. I do not want this deal because it involves a driving class. Since I already lost my license because of this I would rather not take this.
Do you have another choice? And that last sentence, in which "this" appears twice without any reference to what it refers, could mean anything. Explain what t'heck you're talking about, please.

NB123

OMG sorry that wasn't clear at all.

We were trying to get through a neighbor hood. I was driving through the cul de sac the first time and never did we come anywhere close to this man. he shouted something about slowing down with profanity. We continued out of the cul de sac. Minutes later We switched drivers ( due to trying to clean out my car and locate a letter) We were unsure of this neighborhood where we were going. My friend entered the culdac sac again. (Not purposeful) At this time the man was in the middle of the cul de sac. We may have been going around 30 in a 25 according to the man. At this time this man attempted to stop us by running in front of our vehicle he did so twice and twice we ajusted our course. The third time get in front of us He punched the front of my car as we hit his leg going 10 miles and hour or so according the man. My friend has already plead guilty and has been sentenced to 180days for misdameanor assault.

My issue is this. This man is attempting to get a jail sentence to me for a traffic violation (reckless driving) He stated in my friends case that he thought I was behind my friends attempt to hit him. He asked the judge that we be punished the same in my friends case. The judge told him he did not care about me and to take it up with the DA.

My offer is a 6 piont careless and a 2 piont defective vehicle. this man is making statements to the court and asking for maximum sentences (90 days in jail).

Will he be able to make statements asking for max punishment and jail time? Will they hold water? In a traffic court where I did not endanger him or hit him.

I'm looking for some opinions as to whats going to happen?

I_Got_Banned

Your story still doesn't jive!!!

At this time this man attempted to stop us by running in front of our vehicle he did so twice and twice we ajusted our course. The third time get in front of us He punched the front of my car as we hit his leg going 10 miles and hour or so according the man.
Explain to me how you can get lost somewhere, end up in a cul-de-sac and after leaving the first time (with you as the driver), you end up back at the same cul-de-sac again (with your friend driving) and you pass this man not twice (once going in, turning and going back out of the cul-de-sac) but THREE TIMES?????????????

Also, in your first post, you stated that you went back because you wanted to throw something at him... While in your second post, you're claiming that you simply got lost AGAIN!

Which is it?

Whatever the issue may have been, your friend obviously took the bullet for you... All while you're claiming ignorance and attempting to be picky about what you want and what you don't want!

NB123

only went back twice;

he's saying that we went back to throw something at him and hit him.
We both denied that

I really had no idea why we ended up in the same place but were paying no attention to him what so-ever( in the sense that we were not looking to do anything to him) It really is a confusing neighborhood.

I'm just wanting to know this guy is wanting a jail sentence for this. I was wondering is the court going to see this as a seperate incident? This is only a traffic violation on my side no criminal charges.

NB123

Explain to me how you can get lost somewhere, end up in a cul-de-sac and after leaving the first time (with you as the driver), you end up back at the same cul-de-sac again (with your friend driving) and you pass this man not twice (once going in, turning and going back out of the cul-de-sac) but THREE TIMES?????????????

Also, in your first post, you stated that you went back because you wanted to throw something at him... While in your second post, you're claiming that you simply got lost AGAIN!

Which is it?

Whatever the issue may have been, your friend obviously took the bullet for you... All while you're claiming ignorance and attempting to be picky about what you want and what you don't want!

I was explaining the incident the second time as we were attempting to leavethe area. He ran from the middle of the culd de sac and attempted to stop us as we were exiting. We ajusted 2 times to avoid him going 10 miles and hour. the third time we did not. Sorry for the confusion
He told the judge in the criminal case; that I was not involved in. That he wanted me to be charged in my case the same way My friend was. The judge told him he didn't care about me and to take it up with the DA.

When he takes it up with the DA will if have an effect on anything in the court room?
A. will this be considered a seperate traffic violation
B. Will the judge question me about the events beyond my initial pass through.
C. what are the chances of me getting something from the da that they are not looking for jail time?
I'm just looking to stay out of jail

This was an honest mistake. We did not attempt to damage him or his neighborhood. The criminal case is done and this is a traffic court hearing. I'm am sorry for this and I am shocked that my friend was crushed for third degree assualt.
With him getting such a heavy sentence am I likely to get one?

I_Got_Banned

You still don't get it do you?

Your friend is doing 180 days... That's 6 months in jail for something that, albeit he had a major contribution to, but initially, I believe it was ALL started by you... And if you had no intent to "damage him or his neighborhood" then you would not have gone back a second time... Yeah you say it was unintentional but I think you're bullshi--ing (you specifically said in your first post that you switched places with your friend AND WENT BACK because you wanted to throw (you said "through") something at him)... If you were really truly lost and found yourself on that same cul-de-sac again, put it in reverse and get the heck out of there but no, you and your dumb-azz friend thought it would make men out of you to challenge this guy.

Point is, you both equally contributed to what happened that day and for your friend to be locked up for 180 days which AGAIN is 6 months all while you're out here whining about what you want and what you don't want...

Justice was not served in this case... Not by a long shot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">