• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeh1987

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I was ticketed for failure to obey a stoplight. The day was bright and the road conditions were very good. This part is only pertinent to me, but I was in no hurry to get anywhere, usually not the case. Anyway, the officer, who did not have the best vantage point of the situation, asked me, "Why didn't you stop for the red light?", I responded, "The light was yellow when I entered the intersection." He stated, "It must have been red, because the opposite lights turned green."
I would not be taking the time to fight this if I didn't believe that he was incorrect. It was a very marginal call and he did not appear to be having the best of days.
Statute reads: (169.06) Vehicular traffic facing a circular yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic must not enter the intersection, except for the continued movement allowed by any green arrow indication simultaneously exhibited.
I have been reading through the applicable questions and answers posted on this site, and don't feel the best about my chances of winning my case. Does anyone have any advice to give that would help my chances, or are ther any resources that I could utilize on the web that don't carry a $39.95 price tag attached? Thank you for your input!

lwpat

It is very difficult to beat a red light ticket. Just your word against his unless the yellow has been shortened.

mikeh1987 said:
Statute reads: (169.06) Vehicular traffic facing a circular yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic must not enter the intersection, except for the continued movement allowed by any green arrow indication simultaneously exhibited.
Answers your question.

grahamswilliams

Good new folks - i went to court in South VA and pleaded my case. I told the judge the light was yellow and he gave me the benefit of the doubt! Case Dissmissed!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">