• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlammie

I exited a freeway in Arizona and was followed off the freeway by a phoenix city policeman, I didn't see him. The light at the intersection was red and I stopped behind two other cars. the first car turned right, I then stopped behind the second car which turned right in front of me. The intersection was clear so I turned right before I came to a complete stop for a third time at this intersection. Why wouldn't my 2 previous complete stops count as stopping for legal purposes.

Does Phoenix pd have jurisdiction to write traffic tkts on interstate access ramps.

xylene

I exited a freeway in Arizona and was followed off the freeway by a phoenix city policeman, I didn't see him. The light at the intersection was red and I stopped behind two other cars. the first car turned right, I then stopped behind the second car which turned right in front of me. The intersection was clear so I turned right before I came to a complete stop for a third time at this intersection. Why wouldn't my 2 previous complete stops count as stopping for legal purposes.

Does Phoenix pd have jurisdiction to write traffic tkts on interstate access ramps.
Because you needed to stop at the stop line.

Previous stops? Don't be silly.

tlammie

ars 28

the statute doesn't state stopping at a line only "close as practical" wouldn't care except that its 250 dollars plus some bs school total F.O.

FlyingRon

the statute doesn't state stopping at a line only "close as practical" wouldn't care except that its 250 dollars plus some bs school total F.O.
Close as practical doesn't mean behind another car.
Sorry...you're not going to win this.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
For stop sign and red lights there is a required stopping point, usually a marked stop line or cross walk. If there is no marking then usually it's an extension of the curb line which intersects the flow of traffic.

Most of the stop sign and red light statutes I have seen do not specify this.

The line has to be drawn somewhere (no pun intended). Why not stop 100 feet before the light? That just doesn't make sense.

And I wouldn't worry about Phoenix PD being able to write the violation. If it was within the city of Phoenix that's enough.

I agree that you will not be able to challenge this based upon any of the arguments you are making. You're in the wrong here and it's pretty clear.

The Occultist

If you challenge this, yours would not be the the first case I've sat in on with somebody arguing the same exact thing. I've yet to see anybody prevail with such an argument.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">