• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

red light but i dont think it was red

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anking

PENNSYLVANIA
I got a ticket for crossing an intersection on a steady red signal.
However i believe that i passed intersection on yellow traffic light(All the way thru).
& I did it because of certain circumstances it was rainy & road was curvy, hilly & slippery.
I went to district magestrical court & they found me guilty does not even taking into consideration what i was saying about the distance & timings when I was driving & the fact that i said that i did not see red light there. Neither I seen any traffic start to move from left side of T shaped intersection.
I'm planning to appeal but what are my chances to win the case & why presunction of innocence is not working here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
PENNSYLVANIA
I got a ticket for crossing an intersection on a steady red signal.
However i believe that i passed intersection on yellow traffic light(All the way thru).
& I did it because of certain circumstances it was rainy & road was curvy, hilly & slippery.
I went to district magestrical court & they found me guilty does not even taking into consideration what i was saying about the distance & timings when I was driving & the fact that i said that i did not see red light there. Neither I seen any traffic start to move from left side of T shaped intersection.
I'm planning to appeal but what are my chances to win the case & why presunction of innocence is not working here?
You were not able to overcome the evidence against you.

anking

You were not able to overcome the evidence against you.
I understand it. But what do you mean by this? Officer only said that he seen lights turned to red. but i'm not sure that he can see clear because this is not the same what i seen there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand it. But what do you mean by this? Officer only said that he seen lights turned to red. but i'm not sure that he can see clear because this is not the same what i seen there.
The prosecution had the burden of proving your guilt. They had strong evidence (the testimony of an unbiased police officer...he could care less whether you were found guilty or innocent). That evidence is pretty darn compelling.

The only evidence that YOU have is YOUR testimony. Unfortunately, you are very biased and have a very compelling reason to be ...less than truthful...in your testimony.

In a nutshell: The court believed the officer and didn't believe you.

ETA: The fact that you can't testify as to whether or not you ran the red because you didn't even see the red didn't help you either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">