• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Camera - Failure to Stop at Red Light when turn right

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedLightTicket

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, location of ticket is Beverly Hills.

The ticket cited that I did not stop at a red light. There was a video of the traffic, including the changing of lights at www.photonotice.com. In the letter/ticket I rec'd, the pics have my license place, my face photo, and the timing of the approach to the white limit line (ie., 2:47;30 with 15 mph), and also the turn (ie., 2:47:31 at 15 mph). While I made the turn, they also filmed a car behind me, about 100 feet behind me. Could it be that the speed was the other car's speed? However, in viewing the web video, my car did not stop at the red, but drove slower at the intersection, and turned.

What happened was I saw the lights changing, green/yellow/red. I may have time to stop but was in a hurry to go to a meeting. My speed at white limit line. I have not reached the corned/limit line, it changed from yellow to red, and when I reached the corner, it showed red, I slowed down, but did not make a complete stop and my car continued to turn on the red.

I was on a street going south/north, I was going north. I was turning east to the other perpendicular street. The perpendicular street, the cars were going east to west, could turn south, by making a left turn. There is no danger there if I made a right turn on red, and I understand that the issue (law) is not stopping at the red light and not really whether it's safe to do so.

Is it slamp dunk, that I had to pay for the ticket or go to traffic school, because the light turned red, and I may not have stopped before turning right?

Also, if I fight this in court and did not win, will I lose the option of going to traffic school?

I_Got_Banned

if I fight this in court and did not win, will I lose the option of going to traffic school?
If you fight it in court on what grounds will you be fighting it?

As far as traffic school, the court cannot deny you the option of traffic school simply because you opted to take it to trial, however, keep in mind that the court can deny your request for traffic school without having to state a reason for not allowing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">