• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Camera and Left Turns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fuzzywuzzy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hey all,

The intersection that I was trying to make a left on had a red light camera.

Here is how the event unfolded:

I was traveling into the intersection seeing the "Don't Walk" sign flashing in the adjacent roadway, I naturally slowed down. However, since I was clearly within the intersection before the light turned red, I made the turn. The problem is...the light just turned yellow after I entered the intersection.

I'm NOT SURE whether the camera took a picture or not. It was broad daylight and I THOUGHT I saw a flash. Hard to tell since it could very well be the sun reflecting off some metal as my car was changing orientation.

Anyway, if...god forbid... I get a ticket for this... can I fight it? Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you are being honest with yourself about the course of events then you will not get a ticket. If the camera went off maybe it was someone else.

In order for the camera to trigger you have to enter the intersection when the light is red - if you are already in the intersection then you should be okay.

There camera tickets can obviously be fought but they are difficult to win - the pictorial evidence is overwhelming.

You Are Guilty

If you are being honest with yourself about the course of events then you will not get a ticket. If the camera went off maybe it was someone else.

In order for the camera to trigger you have to enter the intersection when the light is red - if you are already in the intersection then you should be okay.

There camera tickets can obviously be fought but they are difficult to win - the pictorial evidence is overwhelming.
Well, if the poster's version is accurate, and the cameras are operating as they should, there will be a series of photographs showing a) the red light and the OP's car entering intersection and b) the red light and the OPs car leaving the intersection.

If (a) is missing, that will support the OP's story of entering on a yellow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">