• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Camera Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I just got flashed today for running a red light. So i have a couple of questions.

I don't have a license. Will this affect me and how? And do i have to go to court or can i just pay online or over the mail?

Maestro64

I just got flashed today for running a red light. So i have a couple of questions.

I don't have a license. Will this affect me and how? And do i have to go to court or can i just pay online or over the mail?
Photo ticket are no issued to a licensed driver they are issued to the registered owner of the car. Could they verify that the person who was driving also has a license since they have a picture of the person in the car and can look up your picture in the DMV database. That is a possibility too, just not sure what they would do at that point if they discovered the driver also did not have a license at the time.

Considering most RLC systems are operated by private companies they do not have the authority to issue other types of tickets.

My understanding is they tend not to take the next step until they find out or are told the owner was not the driver. Then they tend to look up people who have the same address as the owner of the car.

Other who know specifically will probable chime in, however, form what I know you can just pay the ransom and be done with it.

Last edited:

R16

Thanks for the quick response. I am just gonna pay it and get it over with. My brother in law is the register owner of the car, but my name is also in there. Actually it has both of our names in the registration. The question is who's name will it come under? And will count against him to?

Maestro64

Sounds like your bother snitched you out, unless you both live at the same location as the car being registered at there is no way for them to know you were driving his car. The only reason for them to identify someone else other than the owner of the car is if when they did their original analysis it was obviously the person driving was not the registered owner like the car is register to a male and the driver is female, or they saw the picture of the owner and the person driving does not look like the person in the DMV database.

I am kind of curious how they went about identifying you and your bother on the ticket. The obviously thing to me is two people can not be cited for same violation since two people can not drive the car in question at the same time.

Before paying you might want to check this guys website out Home - Fighting Red Light Camera Tickets

He might be able to help you since your ticket appears to fall outside the ordinary.

R16

No no, sorry i guess i got things confused.

I haven't gotten the ticket yet so i have no idea who's name will be in it. What i am saying is we are both register owners of the car. Both name's appear on the DMV registration.

Maestro64

Not 100% sure what they would do, but they will probably send it in both your names to the address that is listed on the registration. They do not care who writes the check as long as it is paid.

R16

Wonder if they will issue it to both of us, but how will it take a point of your license without having one?

davew128

I don't have a license.
And you're driving without a valid license....why exactly???? :mad:

I_Got_Banned

Wonder if they will issue it to both of us, but how will it take a point of your license without having one?
It will assign you what I believe is referred to as an "x-number" assign the point to that. Assuming you apply for a license at any time while that point is on the record (3 years from the violation date), it will be applied to your newly issued license at that time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">