• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light camera ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dq40911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I drive a very large dump truck for a living.
As I approached an intersection the light turned yellow and there was no way I could have stopped in a safe and controlled manor.
As I was almost through the intersection the light change to red and the camera flashed.
The red light was above my windshield as I was that close to clearing the intersection.
What does the law state in a instance like that?
Thank you , Jim

driving a 40,000 lb vehicle in such a manner -- you need to change your driving habits.

Otherwise, you can use the ol' confront your witness defense & lack of foundation defense

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As I approached an intersection the light turned yellow and there was no way I could have stopped in a safe and controlled manor.
That seems like a silly statement. This means you can never stop for a yellow light before it turns red? Or were you driving too fast?

As I was almost through the intersection the light change to red and the camera flashed.
The camera wouldn't flash unless the light was red prior to your truck entering the intersection. If it flashed when you say it did then it wasn't working properly. Or maybe the camera caught some other vehicle behind you.

The red light was above my windshield as I was that close to clearing the intersection.
That statement is meaningless without knowing the layout of the intersection and the placement of each traffic light.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do you know this? Did you watch the installation process? Quit assuming.
Of course, if you would quote the entire statement, you'd see that your post is drivel:

The camera wouldn't flash unless the light was red prior to your truck entering the intersection. If it flashed when you say it did then it wasn't working properly. Or maybe the camera caught some other vehicle behind you.

dq40911

driving a 40,000 lb vehicle in such a manner -- you need to change your driving habits.

Otherwise, you can use the ol' confront your witness defense & lack of foundation defense
Excuse me? I`m a professional driver! I drive with safety in mind at all times. Who are you to judge me? I just asked a legal question to find an answer.

BTW, this BIG dump truck is not a 40,000 lb rig,,, It`s a seven axle Super Dump single truck with a GVW of 80,000 lbs !!

There are times when a light changes to yellow just as you approch an intersection and you do not have time to safely stop. This is even more of a problem if you drive a big rig. The intersection this happened at is a large wide one that takes a bit longer to clear. There was not any danger to anyone as I went through the intersection.
The light standard holding the stop light is located on the curb corner on the far side and hangs directly over the first line of the cross walk on that side.
This is where it was directly above my windshild.

Just answer my first legal question please and leave the personal assults and insults to yourself.
Thanks,,

Last edited:

asiny

Just answer my first legal question please and leave the personal assults and insults to yourself.
Thanks,,
And this is where the answers and help may well stop. You do realise this forum is a volunteer / peer-to-per forum.. right? You really have no right to request what type of response you get.

If the issue is, as described, it 'seems' - also as said by another user - the camera could be at fault. There is your only argument which your attorney can help with.

HighwayMan

Why don't you wait until you find out if it was you.

If you are certain you entered the intersection on a yellow then there is no violation. How do you know what the reason for the flash was?

You are expending alot of time and effort here and it may be for nothing.
Again, it may be another vehicle that was caught.

HighwayMan

Excuse me? I`m a professional driver! I drive with safety in mind at all times. Who are you to judge me?
Don't get too upset by Free_Advice. He judges everyone and doesn't really provide any useful comments or information.

BTW, this BIG dump truck is not a 40,000 lb rig,,, It`s a seven axle Super Dump single truck with a GVW of 80,000 lbs !!
As a driver, I have never run into an issue with not being able to stop for a red light. And your 80K # truck would smoosh my little put put car .. squish ..

And I think these red light cameras are bogus.

To highway man & zigner : looks like I was right haha .. it is a high GVW vehicle .. suck to be you today, trollers

dq40911

As a driver, I have never run into an issue with not being able to stop for a red light. And your 80K # truck would smoosh my little put put car .. squish ..
Good for you !! But I don't believe that !! O ,, yes,, I could have stopped.
And that little car behind , if there was one, would be my tail gate ornament!
Smoosh,,,,, squish,,,,,
Remember ,,, I said this was a large intersection. (long way to the other side)

And I think these red light cameras are bogus.
We do agree on one thing!!

To highway man & zigner : looks like I was right haha .. it is a high GVW vehicle .. suck to be you today, trollers
I believe they both knew that "very large dump truck" kinda gives that away.
What they were referring to (my guess) was the 40,000 GVW you guessed and was wrong about,,,sucks to be you today!!

To make the question simpler lets start over,,

Question: If you enter an intersection under a yellow light and you make it 95% through said intersection before the light turns red, is that running a red light?

BTW,, I have been a professional truck driver for too many years to count and never had a moving violation or ticket of any kind.

You can certainly go and measure the yellow light time .. there are regs regarding this. Information desired to be collected:

Speed of highway, description of highway, grade of road, time of yellow in seconds to hundredths.

From your posting it maybe that the yellow is too short.

davew128

Ignore Doofus_Advice and his failed understanding of driver safety. Unless the law in your state requires you to be through the intersection rather than simply already into it, you should be fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">