• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light camera ticket in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pugilist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We received one of those Snitch Tickets (something that exists only in California) which asks you to ID the driver, but also says, "Do not contact the court about this notice." In other words, a fake ticket that has not been filed with the court, and which, unless you are an idiot, you will ignore.

So we are ignoring it. But there is just one lingering question. How long is the statute of limitations, for them to file against the actual driver, assuming they can figure out who it is? My quick check found PC 802 which seems to say that it's one year. Is that correct?

I also read the long thread, now closed, started by CatsrCool, the guy with the ticket in Ventura. He mentioned that he was just 0.15 late. Since our law requires that the motorist only has to stop if he is facing a "steady" red, he should compare the brightness of the red between the two pictures, see if it is brighter in the second one. If it is, then it was not steady...

P

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We received one of those Snitch Tickets (something that exists only in California) which asks you to ID the driver, but also says, "Do not contact the court about this notice." In other words, a fake ticket that has not been filed with the court, and which, unless you are an idiot, you will ignore.

So we are ignoring it.

**A: so therefore, are you implying that you're an idiot?

Jim_bo

Since I am not an idiot, I see that it is obvious that Pugilist said that you would be an idiot only if you did NOT ignore the "snitch ticket".

CdwJava

Pursuant to PC 802(a) the state would theoretically have one year to file. However, in speaking with the supervisors that manage these programs, if they cannot identify the driver they tend to just take a pass on it. They don't have a back burner with these sitting up there while they hunt down the actual driver ... it's not cost effective and they don't have the manpower for it in those units.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">