• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Camera Ticket in California - Reissued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeterA

I had received a letter in the mail for a red light camera ticket. the driver of the car was not me and i had gone to court and fought the ticket. The ticket was dismissed because the driver was in fact not me.

Today, i received the same letter in the mail with one of my family members name on the ticket. The same ticket that was dismissed was now reissued to someone else. I did not provide a name or relation to the driver. The driver of the vehicle was unknown to the court.

Are they allowed to reissue the ticket to someone else without me providing any information on who the driver of the car was?

What can i do in this situation.

Thanks

The Occultist

The state may file charges, and the defendants have the right to defend themselves, including using the "that's not me" defense.

They probably looked you up after the "it's not me" defense and saw who else was licensed in your household.

The whole point is that the driver of the vehicle is unknown to the court, which is why they continue to issue summons to likely drivers of the vehicle. If the family member charged isn't the one driving, he or she can use the same defense you did.

Remember, you are not required to speculate on who the driver of the vehicle could be. Remind your family member to not make any comments about who it looks like, only that it isn't him or her (if this is the case).

Maestro64

The better defense for these ticket is ask to have it dismiss on the ground that the person who saw the offense (the camera and the person reviewing the film) is not present in court and have a right to confront your accuser. If you search the net for fighting CA Red light cameras you will find what you need.

PeterA

Does the court not have a set amount of time to issue a ticket to someone that is being convicted of the crime. The letter must be sent out to the person within 30 days no? It has now been 6 and a half months and we just received the ticket that was reissued. Can you not tell them that i was in fact the driver but you sent out the ticket too late?

JIMinCA

Does the ticket have a court date on it? If not, it is just a phishing ticket and can be ignored. Either way, in my opinion, this represents the worst out of our state government and we as the public should be highly offended by the "shotgun" approach to prosecutions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The better defense for these ticket is ask to have it dismiss on the ground that the person who saw the offense (the camera and the person reviewing the film) is not present in court and have a right to confront your accuser. If you search the net for fighting CA Red light cameras you will find what you need.
Yeah...that'll work :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does the ticket have a court date on it? If not, it is just a phishing ticket and can be ignored.
I agree

Either way, in my opinion, this represents the worst out of our state government and we as the public should be highly offended by the "shotgun" approach to prosecutions.
I disagree. In my opinion people should take more care to follow the law (ie: don't run the red) which will allow for safer roads for ALL of us.

racer72

Does the ticket have a court date on it? If not, it is just a phishing ticket and can be ignored. Either way, in my opinion, this represents the worst out of our state government and we as the public should be highly offended by the "shotgun" approach to prosecutions.
Whoever is named on the ticket is gambling with their driving priveliges by taking this approach. Bill Handel is an attorney with a radio call in show, it is based in Los Angeles. A few weeks go a caller wanted to know what he could do about his situation. He ignored a red light ticket on the advice of a "internet attorney" and a well know website on California red light camera tickets. 6 months later he gets stopped for a minor traffic infraction and is informed his driver's license in suspended. He received a couple of tickets with over $1000 in fines and had his car impounded with automatic 30 day impoundment. Handel's advice was to call the guy a moron for ignoring anything sent to him by state empowered agency that has the power of the courts behind it. He also suggested the guy talk to a local attorney, I would suggest the person that received the notice do the same. Even if the person that received the ticket is in the right, it would be much easier to take a proactive approach in dealing with it rather than finding out later some low paid court clerk having a bad hair day had the person's license suspended.

Maestro64

I agree with Racer72, you can not ignore, even if the government is 100% incorrect and are outside their right and failed to follow due process they can cost your thousands of $ just so you can say you were correct and in your rights in the end.

Remember is will cost you to ignore the government knows this has no responsible to pay your costs to show you were right.

In the mean time as I said go and fight and use the hearsay defense even though some people would say it will not work read at this site. the guy even cite CA Case law on the subject.

Home - Fighting Red Light Camera Tickets

Also on that site they talk about the snitch ticket which are not really tickets, it is the local towns attempt to scare you into identifying who might have been driving. To JiminCA point these can most likely be ignored since they most likely did not come for official agency ie the court. Many times they tell you not to contact the court, since they know they are outs side their rights to threatening you into tell who might have been driving.

Everything you need to fight these types of tickets is at that site and it is free. He has done a tremendous amount of research and it is more accurate then anything you get here and our advice is free too.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">