• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light camera ticket received too late?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ingie53

Several days ago, I received a courtesy notice from the Court for a citation I had no knowledge of. On 1/31/06, I received the copy of a ''red light camera ticket'' in the mail,violation date 12/28/05, with a ''Notice of Correction and Proof of Service'' attached to it, changing the address info to my current address and stating that the original had been sent to my old address on 01/03/06. I had moved recently, and they must have found out about the address change when I renewed my car registration. The notice was signed by a Costa Mesa police officer on 1/31/06, the same day I received it in the mail, with a metered stamp dated 1/30/06 and ''Costa Mesa'' in the circle. The Proof of Service states it was mailed in Long Beach on 1/31/06. I read that the ticket needs to be mailed within 11 days, also isn't the Proof of Service defective??
Can I have the ticket dismissed based on this?

seniorjudge

ingie53 said:
Several days ago, I received a courtesy notice from the Court for a citation I had no knowledge of. On 1/31/06, I received the copy of a ''red light camera ticket'' in the mail,violation date 12/28/05, with a ''Notice of Correction and Proof of Service'' attached to it, changing the address info to my current address and stating that the original had been sent to my old address on 01/03/06. I had moved recently, and they must have found out about the address change when I renewed my car registration. The notice was signed by a Costa Mesa police officer on 1/31/06, the same day I received it in the mail, with a metered stamp dated 1/30/06 and ''Costa Mesa'' in the circle. The Proof of Service states it was mailed in Long Beach on 1/31/06. I read that the ticket needs to be mailed within 11 days, also isn't the Proof of Service defective??
Can I have the ticket dismissed based on this?
Q: Can I have the ticket dismissed based on this?

A: Make a motion to that effect and file it with the court. If it is overturned, the judge doesn't come down off the bench and slap you; you just have to pay the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">