• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Camera Ticket - Van Nuys, CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keechee1

I Got Banned - thank you for all your thoughtful responses.

Based on digesting all you have indicated, it appears my only true defense then, is to validate what the posted speed limit was on the ticket issue date versus the speed shown on the informational ticket background which exists on line, along with related yellow times. All the other items are just fluff then?

So in your opinion, they should have someone there calibrating the equipment every time the light changes? And if so, how about you and all of those people who haven't paid their fines pay up... Maybe the city will consider your suggestion!
Since people are being singled out mostly by the accuracy of a machine, and to fight such a ticket is an absolute time gobbling uphill struggle of a nightmare, a degree of reasonableness should exist to ensure the equipment is operating correctly. What is reasonable then is not for me to say but I would think at least every few days minimum. This equipment is very sophisticated, affected by weather, seismic activity, idiots pounding on the storage unit, etc. It needs to be 100% accurate, 100% of the time, not 99%accurate.

Planes flying need to be 100% operational, 100% of the time. 99% of the time means 1 plane in a hundred crashes. The same holds true here. Why should I be held accountable for operational inaccuracies? How can it be proven the machine was correct at the precise specific moment in time the photo was taken?

If you think the signage/markings are confusing the contact LADOT and let them know; because as you may already know, ignorance is not an excuse. As for the sign being covered by a tree branch, you started out by saying that along with "at the last possible moment", and I've addressed that bit by saying that neither the sign, nor the "wait here"/"keep clear" are required by law. Changing your wording now isn't going to change my answer.

Excuses won't do you much. Funny thing people drive through these areas for years and none of this bother them one bit, yet when they get a citation, their civic duty becomes their drive and their motivation!
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but I need to know what I do not know, which is where exactly do I stop the car in this particular busway intersection? There is a human reaction time element here. The various items mentioned previously impact that reaction time. 3.9 versus 3.6 seconds makes a difference. So would 4.9 or 5.9 seconds for that matter. If an officer was there instead of a machine, I could explain these things because they are all reasonable and influence the outcome.

And yet the pictures and the video are clear proof that your passenger is way off (to state it mildly). His credibility will somehow affect the credibility of your entire case. Your choice!
Not sure I understand your comment "passenger is way off" - sounds slightly biased. If the video shows my crossing the limit line before it is a steady red light, I repeat steady red light, then this is in my favor yes? If the flash went off during the change from yellow to slightly red to fully red, then this is also in my favor yes? Would this not be corroborated by input from my witness? I mean I am innocent until proven guilty yes of running a steady red light?

My trial is August 25th in Division 109 in Van Nuys at 1:30pm. Do you know if I will have a true Judge/Commissioner or Pro Tem? If it’s a Pro Tem, should I decline and opt for the judge trial? What is best in this situation? Do you know if it is a judge, who it might be and if they area biased one way or the other.
You did not answer my question but what improves my odds - standing before a judge or Pro Tem and why or why not? Again, thank you for your candor and time.

So what will your rant include when you run the light then? That you need 2 extra seconds? Or 3... ? Or how about we split the green phase time into half green and half yellow??? And how much do you want to bet that some people will stil be running red lights?
No matter what you do, people will always run the light. About the only real thing is to slow down and scan the intersection in as safe a manner as possible before entering. Increasing yellows and all red lights can only help not hurt - yes?

Aside from this ticket, I am very passionate about this subject because many years ago, I was taking my son to daycare and was stopped at an intersection. He was in his car seat on the front passenger seat.

My light turned green but I always look both ways before entering an intersection - thank God I did. To my right (passenger side), an elderly gentlemen was driving an older Buick or Chevy and went right through the red light at about 30 mph. Had I not looked before entering, my son would surely have been killed, and probably me in my small Honda Civic. Not looking for sympathy but the fact is a red light camera would not have prevented this from occurring. If all the lights were red at the same time for one second longer, would present a higher degree of preventing accidents than silently recording one committed, and profiting off of the incident.

Red light camera's are nothing more then profit centers, the accuracy of which is questionable, based on who is manipulating what statistic. Extending the yellow and red lights by a second or two seconds seems simple and logical to me, to enhance intersection safety. Unless of course the prime motivator is not safety but revenue generation.

It may sound like a rant, ok, but the nexus of the matter is these camera lights are silent observers and do nothing but record during the fact, reactive versus proactive.

Thank you once again for your time and responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">