• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Camera Violation in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KMaurer36

Hello, I know this is not a moving violation but recently I received a ticket for making a right hand turn on red. The law says you must come to a complete stop. I watched the video and the front half my car was already across the line as the light turned red. I am strongly opposed to these cameras and hope to appeal it so do I have a case? And if anyone could point me to a statue that defines exactly what a "turn on red" is that would be great.

hawk2728

this is a tough one because you are expected to know that if the light is yellow for awhile it is going to turn red on you. it likely will not be an easy fight for you and chances are you would lose. then have to pay court cost on top of the fine. Maybe if you dig deep enough in the law, and read enough appeal cases, to your states highest court. Maybe you can find something in your favor. But then you have to be able to articulate the facts you found in such a way to convince a jury. While also discrediting the states witness. This is no small task when it is a cut and dry false charge. What it looks like you are facing is a monumental task. One thing to remember you must meet all the legal criteria before an appeals court will except the case. again not a task easily performed.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
this is a tough one because you are expected to know that if the light is yellow for awhile it is going to turn red on you. it likely will not be an easy fight for you and chances are you would lose. then have to pay court cost on top of the fine.
Why don't you stick to Texas. You don't know anything about the laws in New Jersey, especially when it comes to red light cameras.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
And if anyone could point me to a statue that defines exactly what a "turn on red" is that would be great.
That is not defined in a statute. You must come to a stop at the required stopping point (stop line or crosswalk). You may then proceed to make the right turn after yielding to traffic, unless there is a posted sign prohibiting a right turn on a red signal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">