• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

red light cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amk3rd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
what is the time needed to be legally stopped at the light. I got a camera ticket while approaching an intersection in Fort Worth. I now the light is there, I clearly slowed and stopped and immediately turned right. THis is clear on the video. The car leans forward to the mark at the intersection, then stop for split second and you can then see the car lean back on the back wheels as I accelerate to turn right. This city is getting rediculous with these cameras. How did Houston citizens get the removal of theirs to a vote?
I need ammo for this violation because I am requesting an administrative adjudication hearing. To many of us just mail in the fee, right or wrong.

amk3rd

asiny

what is the time needed to be legally stopped at the light. I got a camera ticket while approaching an intersection in Fort Worth. I now the light is there, I clearly slowed and stopped and immediately turned right. THis is clear on the video. The car leans forward to the mark at the intersection, then stop for split second and you can then see the car lean back on the back wheels as I accelerate to turn right. This city is getting rediculous with these cameras. How did Houston citizens get the removal of theirs to a vote?
I need ammo for this violation because I am requesting an administrative adjudication hearing. To many of us just mail in the fee, right or wrong.

amk3rd
If it was a legal right-turn-on-red intersection, you can argue exactly what you have posted here. The video clearly shows you coming to a complete stop, then turning.
This has been a problem that many cities/states have been argued with on red light cameras and, specifically, right-turn-on-red locations.

How did Houston citizens get the removal of theirs to a vote?

amk3rd
A referendum was called for by petitioning for it --- the courts struck this referendum down as being something that could not be addressed by a referendum vote.

(I think the OP is looking for case law or law concerning the actual time period needed to stop prior to turning red -- the camera folks will say you need to be stopped 3 or 4 seconds --- I don't know of any law,,,I thought it was to stop for any time period (0.01 seconds of no movement) and then can go, but I have no law to cite, just opinion)

I_Got_Banned

I thought it was to stop for any time period (0.01 seconds of no movement) and then can go, but I have no law to cite, just opinion)
Think about that for a bit longer than 0.01 of a second...

The requirement to stop on red prior to making the right turn (absent a "No Turn On Red" sign) is predicated upon the need for the driver to (1) check to his right for pedestrians within the adjacent crosswalk, and (2) check to the left for oncoming cross traffic so close thereto, requiring him/her to yield the right of way.

Can you do that in 0.01 seconds or less??? I now I can't!

what is the time needed to be legally stopped at the light.
There is no set time that you must be stopped for...

This is the likely statute you were cited for:
Sec.*544.007.**TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNALS IN GENERAL.
(d)**An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1)**turn right; or... (other options are not relevant).​

I got a camera ticket while approaching an intersection in Fort Worth. I now the light is there, I clearly slowed and stopped and immediately turned right. THis is clear on the video. The car leans forward to the mark at the intersection, then stop for split second and you can then see the car lean back on the back wheels as I accelerate to turn right.
Well, for starters, a showing that the car leaned forward and then leaned back is not necessarily proof that it was at a full stop at any point in time; but let us assume it did. Question is, where did you stop? Before the line, at the line, or after you crossed the line?

There is only ONE correct answer to that and it is at the line... In light of the fact that you made no mention of where you stopped, I would venture a guess that you had no idea of such requirement or simply chose to ignore it... Don't feel bad though... Most red light camera citations are issued for that one reason alone.

Now, you can claim knowledge of the requirement, you can claim that you did indeed stop at the line -not before/after it-, but in this case, the video and or pictures are likely to prove otherwise.

This city is getting rediculous with these cameras.
Well, it really isn't that difficult to comply with the law... And if everyone were to comply, the city couldn't be successful in their ridiculousness.

I am requesting an administrative adjudication hearing.
And therein lies your other challenge... If this is an administrative hearing, the burden of proof is much lower that if it were a criminal trial... But I also suspect that the penalty there is limited to a civil fine, the conviction is not reported on your driving record and there are no long lasting effects (insurance premium hike..etc).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">