• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Notice in mail against statue law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mashley80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Hi there,
I got a "notice of violation" from Commerce City, Co in accordance to Violationinfo.com. I received this in the mail, claiming that I turned right at red light on 10-16/13 although I received it today in the mail on 2/8/14 . It shows my photo and vehicle number and everything. My problem with this, is that according to According to Colorado State Statute Under C.R.S. 42-4-110.5, unless the ticket is personally served within 90 days of the infraction, all charges must automatically be dropped. This occurrence is well over 90 days. I wish to not pay this, should I just throw it away? My husband says we should go to the police department and show them the statue. Thank you!

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
Hi there,
I got a "notice of violation" from Commerce City, Co in accordance to Violationinfo.com. I received this in the mail, claiming that I turned right at red light on 10-16/13 although I received it today in the mail on 2/8/14 . It shows my photo and vehicle number and everything. My problem with this, is that according to According to Colorado State Statute Under C.R.S. 42-4-110.5, unless the ticket is personally served within 90 days of the infraction, all charges must automatically be dropped. This occurrence is well over 90 days. I wish to not pay this, should I just throw it away? My husband says we should go to the police department and show them the statue. Thank you!
You have a STATUE that says all of this? How big is this statute? Are we talking "Venus de Milo" or "Statue of Liberty" size? You're really going to put it in your car and drag it to the police station? I hope you have plenty of room in your vehicle for it.

But seriously... the term is STATUTE, not STATUE. And going to the police department will do you no good. They didn't issue the ticket, and once issued, they do not have the power to dismiss it.

You'll need to go to the courthouse and fight the ticket. The statute backs you up, but you'd have to take the time and gas to drive there and spend time at the courthouse waiting to see the judge. Ultimately, the ticket should be dismissed, along with any kind of penalty for not paying.

mashley80

You have a STATUE that says all of this? How big is this statute? Are we talking "Venus de Milo" or "Statue of Liberty" size? You're really going to put it in your car and drag it to the police station? I hope you have plenty of room in your vehicle for it.

But seriously... the term is STATUTE, not STATUE. And going to the police department will do you no good. They didn't issue the ticket, and once issued, they do not have the power to dismiss it.

You'll need to go to the courthouse and fight the ticket. The statute backs you up, but you'd have to take the time and gas to drive there and spend time at the courthouse waiting to see the judge. Ultimately, the ticket should be dismissed, along with any kind of penalty for not paying.

Please forgive me, I forgot a "t" in my subject line.

I forgot to note that it says at the bottom " You may request a review in person , within 15 days with the Commerce City Police Dept. You must review your violation with the PD before a hearing with the court can be scheduled." Hence, why I said to go to the PD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">