• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light Photo Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donnie Laughlin

Arizona:mad:
I recieved a ticket in the mail for allegedly running a red light in Tucson, Az. I was in the intersection when the light was yellow,so I continued my turn, they claim that since I was not past the 3rd line approx. 5 feet past the crosswalk I was not actually in the intersection, there are only 2 intersections with this "magic" line in the city of Tucson, all the others do not have them even though they too have cameras there were also no signs indicating what the other line was for. Do I have a chance of beating this?
Further, If a Mexican National, Canadian or anyone else with an out-of-state / country license plate these tickets are not being persued. I KNOW it's not "Just" but can they legally do this?
Please help if you can my court date is next week.

I live in Tucson also,
This place sucks....seems like they have nothing better to do than to give tickets via photo camera.

Also have you noticed their yellow lights don't last long enough. If I'm in the middle of an intersection and the light turns yellow, I have to gun it to make sure I got across in time!!!

When you go to court tell the judge you want to question your accuser ( the camera) :p
I read online once that a man actually won his case by using that! I guess legally you have a right to question whoever is acussing you and since you can't really question a camera then he won.... but not sure how accurate this was, but it was funny

Donnie Laughlin

We Love Tucson, this whole Big Brother mentality is really starting to piss me off though.. In the paper today the county sheriff is considering photo radar too ,(Not for the money though) they repeated this several times in the interview,:rolleyes: to quote the great Bard;"Me thinks M'lady Doth protest too loudly"
Donnie
"Some Times I Wonder,
Why Is That Frisbee getting larger??
Then It Hits Me.:eek:

The Occultist

If the line existed, and you were not in the proper place in relation to the line, then you are guilty of the charge. Ignorance of this law, unfortunately, does not excuse you from it. If you feel that this law is less than a good idea, then feel free to contact the necessary legislatures to see about having this law amended, but do note that this will not get you off the hook for your current charge.

I_Got_Banned

I live in Tucson also,

Also have you noticed their yellow lights don't last long enough.
Well, that would be a legitimate reason for you to have your citation dismissed!

If you can show that the time actual time the signal is on yellow is not sufficient to get you through the intersection if you are travelling at the speed limit, before it changes to red then you win!

If I'm in the middle of an intersection and the light turns yellow, I have to gun it to make sure I got across in time!!![/U]
If you are "in the middle of the intersection" and the light changes to yellow... meaning you entered the intersection on green, there's no need for you to gun it. As long as you entrered on GREEN, you are NOT in violation, no matter what city, county or state you're in... Guaranteed or you money back!
I don't mind Red Light Cameras... I would rather be cited by a Red light Camera than to be cited by an officer who was looking on the opposite direction when I entered the intersection and yet he goes to court and testifies under oath that he saw me enter on "RED".

Last edited:

The Occultist

Respectfully I submit, how was I to know what that line was significant of, without the public being informed?
It's very likely that the public was informed, and the public wasn't paying attention. You can try to fight the cite based on this argument, but expect the court to retaliate with what mediums were used to inform the public.

Maestro64

I agree ignorance of the law is no defense and people should know the rules.

One of those rules is the yellow timing must be in accordance to the MUTCD and many of these lights fail to meet the minimum standard. In that case you could know the rules and the government changes the playing field (ie the light timing) and you are still required not violate the law.

Many times these types of ticket are civil matter thus you have no rights to have the state prove the light meets the requirements. The light can be complete in violation of the law and you still have to pay. As an example if you in the intersection on when it turns red they ticket you. I personally observed camera taking pictures This also go to confronting your accuser, they will not allow you that defense many times.

If it is all about traffic safety, why all the tricks to keep you from defending yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">