• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Ticket:Need Urgent Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AKK

What is the name of your state?
California

This has been the worest thing I met since I immigrated into U.S. a half year ago.

I received a 21453 traffic ticket when I'm still holding the permit. I misunderstood that a left turn against a red light can be made from a two-way street to a one-way street.When the red light was on, I stopped my car before the marked white line. When I saw no car was on the cross one-way street, I made a safe and slow left turn. Soon a police car followed me and signaled me to stop. Then I received that ticket.

This happened 2 days ago, and on the same day I went to the county court room shown on the ticket. The staff told me it would take 2 weeks to process my case and I would have to wait. What a conincidence. Just before the case happened, I made a drive test appointment which is 3 days later. What result will come to me? As a new driver, what should I do in this situation, considering the case's effect on my driving record in DMV and the auto insurance. Should I take the drive test on schedul? or postpone it until it is processed by the court?

Any oppinion or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Were you also cited for being an unlicensed driver (per CVC 12500)? If so, it may be a moot point as you may face a suspension of your license anyway.

- Carl

CdwJava

AKK said:
No. The policeman told me I could still have my drive test.
He did not cite you for being an unlicensed driver??

You got really lucky! You should have received a misdemeanor citation (usually filed as an infraction for first offenses) for CVC 12500(a) (unlicensed driver) and had your car impounded.

Of course you can still take the test, you may just start your driving life with points on your license.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">