• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light ticket questionable in Arnold, mo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gary324

I recieved a ticket by a red light camera in Arnold, mo

it was a snowy night and the streets were Icey and I chose to safely run the light since it was late and there wasnt any traffic. I recieved the ticket in the mail and called city hall to explain, the lady said I would have to appear, get a court date to fight it and appear again during the day to plead my case. It isnt worht the $94.50 to try and fight it so I am challenging the legality of the system.

I called my lawyer and she said I could pay them to fix it because the system is technically illegal under missouri law. "it is illegal to ticket a vehicle's registration" I can understand that because the pictures only show the rear end of the car, not me! doesnt that bring in reasonable doubt because it could have been anyone. Can i print out a copy of the missouri law that says that and take it with me to court...Basically I dont want to pay $94.50 but I am not willing to take off work and waste a ton of time for that same $94.50

THanks for any help you can provide

AlanShore

Sure...but the judge is not going to agree with you. Don't you think the police departments study the law before they put up red light cameras?

The best chance you have is to argue it was safer for you to run the light, but with out witnesses its a hard argument.

BelizeBreeze

I recieved a ticket by a red light camera in Arnold, mo

it was a snowy night and the streets were Icey and I chose to safely run the light since it was late and there wasnt any traffic. I recieved the ticket in the mail and called city hall to explain, the lady said I would have to appear, get a court date to fight it and appear again during the day to plead my case. It isnt worht the $94.50 to try and fight it so I am challenging the legality of the system.

I called my lawyer and she said I could pay them to fix it because the system is technically illegal under missouri law. "it is illegal to ticket a vehicle's registration" I can understand that because the pictures only show the rear end of the car, not me! doesnt that bring in reasonable doubt because it could have been anyone. Can i print out a copy of the missouri law that says that and take it with me to court...Basically I dont want to pay $94.50 but I am not willing to take off work and waste a ton of time for that same $94.50

THanks for any help you can provide

Attorney General Nixon has advised Arnold that such camera tickets are not legal. However, although the bill, sponsored by Istate Senator Crowell, was filed December 1, 2005, there has yet to be any action as of the last publication of RSMo 304.285. In fact, it is not included in the most recent publication of the RSMo.

Therefore, if you want to contest the ticket, you WILL be required to appear.

Be aware, if you try to fight this, based on the assumption that it was not you driving, they may hold you in contempt of court, and lock you up, until you turn over the vehicle operator when this happened.

you broke the law, you got caught, now you want to get out of this ticket.

just pay the fine, and remember that Red means STOP, not "go when you think it's safe"

--Dave.

gary324

the frustration is that if a police officer was there i would have easily got out of it, assuming i even got pulled over. It was obvious that what i did was safe. I understand that these cameras have SOME good statistics behind them. My frustration is that this is another instance of how "big brother" can look over us. especially this situation that doesnt take into account that sometimes there are outside ciscumstances that you need to consider. Besides its $94.50, i think thats unreasonable when the same fine in the area for speeding is close to $50, which is worse...

The whole thing is corrupt because the companies that install these systems present there "plan" to the municipality as it doesnt cost them anything. The presentation is simple, "If you let us put stop light cameras in your town we will install them for free, the only catch is we get 1/3 of the fines collected" That means it is in the companies financial best interest to have there cameras as strict as possible to write the most tickets and in turn make them the most money....

The light in question was timed by a local news crew as the shortest light in the city from yellow to red, but because of a law instituted by the municipality they can do that...again scandalous!

cepe10

You do have to appear - and Yes you can bring the law in with you and present your case to the judge. Beyond that you do not have to testify against yourself in criminal court or testify at all. You also have the right to question your accuser. Meaning you have the right to cross examine "the witness" against you or whoever presents the case for the prosecution and you can ask them directly "can you positively identify the operator of the vehicle from this photo?" If no then there is "reasonable doubt".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">