• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcinc74

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire,

I was isuued a violation for allegedly running a red light. I realize that this is one word against another so I'll move on. The ticket amount was 100 and I also received a schedule of fines for all violations, sort of a cross reference guide. Upon further review, I noticed that the fine for a traffic light violation was only 72. I called the issuing officer and she said the fines had since been revised, but yet on the schedule of fines that I got, it said revised in August 2005, which means to me that August 2005 was the last time. The officer insists that the fine is 100 but cannot provide me with any documentation saying so. I want to take this to court as I feel I am only responsible for 72 dollars.

What do you think??

NH RSA 265:9 Traffic light violatiion

Shay-Pari'e

dcinc74 said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire,

I was isuued a violation for allegedly running a red light. I realize that this is one word against another so I'll move on. The ticket amount was 100 and I also received a schedule of fines for all violations, sort of a cross reference guide. Upon further review, I noticed that the fine for a traffic light violation was only 72. I called the issuing officer and she said the fines had since been revised, but yet on the schedule of fines that I got, it said revised in August 2005, which means to me that August 2005 was the last time. The officer insists that the fine is 100 but cannot provide me with any documentation saying so. I want to take this to court as I feel I am only responsible for 72 dollars.

What do you think??

NH RSA 265:9 Traffic light violatiion
First of all, it is not up to the officer to provide you anything. Show up in court, and let the judge decide the fine.

Shay-Pari'e

Hold up@ Since you have not paid the fine, what do you mean you will take it to court? If you refuse to pay the fine, then you are already looking at court.

dcinc74

Red Light

Correct, I have not paid the fine yet. I was simply seeking some advice as to whether or not it would be worth it to go to court. I would think that the officer would have to produce some documentation for the judge that the revised amount is 100.

Shay-Pari'e

dcinc74 said:
Correct, I have not paid the fine yet. I was simply seeking some advice as to whether or not it would be worth it to go to court. I would think that the officer would have to produce some documentation for the judge that the revised amount is 100.
The judge already knows if amounts have been revised.

justalayman

Several things here for you

If you want to just pay the fine, make a photo-copy of the ticket (for later proof if needed) and then pay the amount on the ticket.

I don't know how all works in your state but the tickets in my state separate fines from court costs (actually administrative fees) that must be included when listing them on the ticket. Be sure this is not the situation with yours as well. The policeman may have included fees of this type in the cost of the ticket when he told you this.

Call the court clerks office and and ask them what the total $ amount is to pay the ticket and use this to make your decision of going to court or not.

Police do not have the authority to make the decision of the $ amount. This officer may have been rounding numbers or possibly mistaken in the amount. Ask the courts for the true and actual amount.

And finally, $28 bucks isn't worth me spending ANY time in the courthouse trying to save $28. It would be more cost effective to pay the extra $28 than to spend any time trying to pay the lesser amount. Unless you have this time free, it would be similar for most any other person.

dcinc74

This is more aabout making sure that the law enforcement have the knowhow of doing their job and making sure they have the most up to date material so they don't screw me out of 28 dollars. This is a case where I would spend a million dollars just to make sure they know how to write a ticket. Maybe I should ask the officer if she won't mind kicking in the extra 28 bucks.

CdwJava

In some states citing officers write the actual fine on the citation based upon the amounts they are told to write. The officer probably has no idea how much of that is fien and how much is administrative fees, court costs, etc. Additionally, if your state is like mine, there are exceptiosn to the bail schedule that allows some jurisdictions and circumstances to to exceed the listed amounts - this might be the case here. No one can say.

The officer likely looks up the violation on a sheet that he is provided by his department or the local courts and writes in the amount from that sheet onto the citation. He likely does not concern himself with the authority or source for the figure he writes, he just puts down what he has been told to put down.

As has been recommended, go to court and either fight it or agree to plead guilty there. The judge will tell you what to pay.

- Carl

justalayman

dcinc74 said:
This is more aabout making sure that the law enforcement have the knowhow of doing their job and making sure they have the most up to date material so they don't screw me out of 28 dollars. This is a case where I would spend a million dollars just to make sure they know how to write a ticket. Maybe I should ask the officer if she won't mind kicking in the extra 28 bucks.
How is anybody trying to screw you out of the $28. Was the cop trying to have you pay her? If not, the correct amount would be charged at the courthouse. No extra $28.

Now the thing is, the cop was doing her job, she wrote you a ticket. That is her job. It is not the job of the police to inform you of the fine or associated costs. If they did this, you, as an intelligent person, should understand that you do not take a vegetarians word for what a good steak tastes like. While they may be able to give you a general idea, they are not the correct and best place for you to seek info. They may be able to tell you what they understand to be the truth but they are not in a position to be an authority on the matter.

Now two things;

you never responded as to the fees/fines possibilities
and;

since money is no object here, go to pay the fine, hand the clerk the $72 (or better yet, mail it in if possible to avoid a confrontation) and wait to see if the court tries to charge you any additional fine/fees. Then go to court with your photo-copy and fight it.

Last edited:

AHA

dcinc74 said:
This is a case where I would spend a million dollars.
For $28???????? Wow, that makes you pretty stupid. If you have a million gathering dust somewhere, how about saving a bunch of starving kids in Africa or something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">