• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yrk

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
Hi, My Name is Mike, i hold a New Jersey driving license and my car is registered in Massachusetts. I was stopped yesterday for red light violation(89:9) and fined 150$. This is the first time i was ever pulled over. The officer took my license and registration and went back to his car and came back with the $150 fine. I didnot get a chance to explain or even speak to the officer. My question is will i reveive any points for this offence? if yes, since i have a out of state license will the points be transferred to NJ and show up on my driving history? please remember that my car is registered in MA. Secondly, i drove past the traffic light when it was orange and i also tried to stop the car but then realised that if i stopped i would be in the middle of the crossroad so i didnot stop and went on only to be pulled over. i have a colleague who was with me witnessing all this. Now, if i request for a hearing and explain the same, will i be off the hook? or if i loose the case in the hearing what are the consequenses? will the fine/points be doubled? Please advise.

moburkes

Do you have a picture of this orange light?:confused:

But, yes NJ will be made aware of the ticket that you received in MA.

Last edited:

racer72

Google "Non Resident Violators Compact". You will find the info you need about out of state violations. The fact your vehicle was licensed in another state is irrelevent. The only thing your witness will provide is testimony you violated the law.

The Occultist

I didnot get a chance to explain or even speak to the officer.
It is not the officer's job to listen to your sob story before giving you a citation. He is not assigning guilt, just formally bringing charges against you. You get your chance to explain your sob story in court; the judge will be the one assigning guilt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">