• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcfly

What is the name of your state? CA

Yes, I ran a red light (VC21453a).. and I could give you my long sad story about how I was looking at the wrong light when I entered the intersection in front of an officer.

My question is... since it was merely a mistake, and not my intent to run the red line, do I have any chance whatsoever in getting the fine reduced to the minimum amount (which I believe is $271)? If so, how do I do it? I don't want to contest the ticket because I really did break the law, but I don't think I should have to pay the extra $100 either.

Or am I mistaken on the minimum fine?

Thanks for the help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Intent is not a factor in running red lights...

You may want to ask for traffic school

Or follow the steps of one of our resident loopholers who should be along soon.

mcfly

I'm not really interested in getting out of paying the fine, what I'm interested in is reducing the fine to the minimum fine. I offer my intent solely as a reason for reducing the degree of the punishment.

I do plan to ask for traffic school.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not really interested in getting out of paying the fine, what I'm interested in is reducing the fine to the minimum fine. I offer my intent solely as a reason for reducing the degree of the punishment.

I do plan to ask for traffic school.
I don't know if you will have any reduction in the fine itself. However, by taking traffic school, this won't show up as points that would increase your insurance. So, you'll be saving money in the long run.
Take pictures of the intersection - talk to the judge about it being a confusing intersection - but always be polite! Maybe you'll get lucky on the fine reduction :) Good luck.

mcfly

Thanks, that sounds like good advice.

One more question... any thoughts on doing this by mail (as opposed to talking directly to the Judge)?

cdfstl

I had the same idea. No chance, as intent is not relevant. I went before a Judge in night court and he made it very clear that there are no bail/fine reductions. I could have asked for traffic school, and got it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">