• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bishopxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I received a red light violation for a right hand turn. Vehicle code 21453 (a). There are 2 pictures of my car before I hit the crosswalk and one as I was going through it. The timeline was 1.86 seconds, however, on both photos it shows speed detection at 14mph. In the video you can clearly see that at these two points the vehicle slowed down, the tail lights are lite up. How can I be slowing down by both the video and the tail lights, but it shows before and after the same speed at 14mph? Can I use this information to indicate that the equipment was not functioning correctly and it is pretty hard to break and go the same speed. Thanks

To also clarify unless I was going down a hill usually when you let off the gas the vehicle slows down, if you hit the brake the vehicles slows down even more. Thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...it is pretty hard to break and go the same speed. Thanks
I can't tell you how many people I see on a daily basis that rest their foot on the brake pedal causing their brake lights to come on even though they're not braking...

Pugilist

Watch out for:

The very first step for BishopX and anyone else in California who receives a photo ticket in the mail:

Check to see if it is a Snitch Ticket, the fake/phishing camera tickets the police send out to bluff car owners into ID'ing the actual driver. Snitch Tickets say, at the top, "Courtesy Notice-This is not a ticket," and you can ignore them! Skeptical? Google: Snitch Ticket.

Been to the LA area? Even a REAL red light camera ticket from ANY city in LA County can be ignored, as the LA courts do not report ignored camera tickets to the DMV This was revealed in LA Times articles in 2011. Skeptical? Google: Red light camera no consequence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Been to the LA area? Even a REAL red light camera ticket from ANY city in LA County can be ignored, as the LA courts do not report ignored camera tickets to the DMV This was revealed in LA Times articles in 2011. Skeptical? Google: Red light camera no consequence.
This result from YOUR search term says just the opposite.

http://www.hanfordsentinel.com/news/opinion/columnists/you-and-the-law-driver-alert---do-not/article_bdf48b9c-b450-11e2-81b3-0019bb2963f4.html

There a few problems with red light camera tickets that can be used to try and have the case dismissed.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking authentication would be an issue. If it's a police officer who shows up as a witness, I'm not sure how he can authenticate the photograph considering that the officer didn't take the photo or install the cameras. You may also be able to claim a Sixth Amendment violation against your right to face your accuser. If I was being accused based on a red light camera, I would want the opportunity to question the person who installed it or programmed it. I have my doubts that this person appears at court.

I've never handled a red light ticket, though. Does anyone happen to know if you can still challenge the ticket with a trial by written declaration?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">