• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

red light violation on right turn in Phoenix AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hello,
I received a red light violation photo radar ticket for taking a right turn. My video shows that is a rolling right turn. I have never heard of it as a violation in Phoenix. I am thinking that it is a mistake. The photo radars over here are not setup for rolling right turns.
Also, the violation i got is a red light violation.
Can any body shed some light on it.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hello,
I received a red light violation photo radar ticket for taking a right turn. My video shows that is a rolling right turn. I have never heard of it as a violation in Phoenix. I am thinking that it is a mistake. The photo radars over here are not setup for rolling right turns.
Also, the violation i got is a red light violation.
Can any body shed some light on it.

Thanks
Please post the actual code section you were cited for.

And, just for giggles...why don't you point out anywhere in AZ law that says you are allowed to roll through a red light while making a right turn...

osm

re

Here is the citation : ARS 28-645A3A in phoenix AZ.
My questions are
1) I am not aware of Photo radar enforcing a full stop before taking a right turn on red light. This is in Phoenix. Is any body aware of that. I am thinking that the camera triggered incorrectly. I like to hear people's opinion on it.

2) Does any body know if there are different citations between running a red light and taking a right turn on red light without coming to a full stop. The citation is for running red light .

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have to STOP before entering the intersection when making a right on red. If you don't, then you RAN THE RED LIGHT!

C'mon - this stuff is covered in driver's ed...it's really not rocket science! :rolleyes:

ARS 645A3. Red indication:

(a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (c) of this paragraph, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal alone shall stop before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown. On receipt of a record of judgment for a violation of this subdivision or an act in another jurisdiction that if committed in this state would be a violation of this section, the department shall order the person to attend and successfully complete traffic survival school training and educational sessions within sixty days after the department issues the order. Notwithstanding section 28-3315, if the person fails to attend or successfully complete traffic survival school training and educational sessions, the department shall suspend the person's driving privilege pursuant to section 28-3306 until the person attends and successfully completes traffic survival school training and educational sessions. A person whose driving privilege is suspended pursuant to this subdivision may request a hearing. If the person requests a hearing, the department shall conduct the hearing as prescribed in section 28-3306. A law enforcement officer or a jurisdiction issuing a citation to a person who violates this subdivision shall provide written notice to the person that if eligible, the person may attend defensive driving school or, if not eligible or if the person chooses not to attend defensive driving school and is convicted or enters a plea of responsible for a violation of this subsection, the person must attend and successfully complete traffic survival school training and educational sessions. The notice shall include a reference to red light violations and state that if the person is required to attend traffic survival school the person will receive notice from the motor vehicle division.

(b) The driver of a vehicle that is stopped in obedience to a red signal and as close as practicable at the entrance to the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no crosswalk, then at the entrance to the intersection, may make a right turn but shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal. A right turn may be prohibited against a red signal at any intersection if a sign prohibiting the turn is erected at the intersection.

(c) The driver of a vehicle on a one-way street that intersects another one-way street on which traffic moves to the left shall stop in obedience to a red signal but may then make a left turn into the one-way street. The driver shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection, except that such left turn may be prohibited if a sign prohibiting the turn is erected at the intersection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">